NEED TO KNOW HOW TO TIME THE CAMS

2000 Volvo S70

one stop

March, 9, 2012 AT 2:16 AM

I took the head off of my 00 volvo s70 2.4 gas nonturbo & did not mark the cams when I took the gears off, now I need 2 know how 2 put the gears in time with the cams Need 2 know how 2 time the cams without the gears on them or how 2 position the gears on the cams so I will b in time?

Installing Oh Cams In 2.5

JIS001

March, 9, 2012 AT 7:05 AM

You will need the cam lock tool to lock the cams in place to set up the timing and variable valve hub.

one stop

March, 9, 2012 AT 12:37 PM

I don't have a lot of money is thr a way 2 do it widout the tool?

one stop

March, 9, 2012 AT 12:39 PM

Can I make my own tool?

JIS001

March, 11, 2012 AT 3:46 AM

I dont know if you can make a tool? You can buy the tool but they run somewhere between $300 and $500 dollars. You may want to look into maybe renting the tool from someone? You can try to see if you can lock the cams in place if you can make something work? Look behinde the cams. Look at the diagram I am attaching. The cam has the slotted part to install the tool and lock cams into place. When you install the tool that slot now becomes parallel with the top of the head. Which way is up I forgot how to tell without looking at it? But I hope this makes some sense? Looking at the picture it seems like the intake side the bigger circle is pointing down and the exhaust side the bigger circle points up. So once you get the cams in the right position turn the cams until the slotted part is lined up horizontally too the head. Once the cams are lined up let me know what you used to hold the cams in place so that you could install the hub? Once you get the timing belt on turn the engine by hand several revolutions to verify the pistons will not collide with the valves. I hope this helps you out and let me know if this made sense and if it worked out. Good luck to you.

one stop

March, 14, 2012 AT 1:11 PM

I got it 2gether I held the cams wid a nail bar, turn'd by hand several revolution brought timing mark back up cams wr horizonal wid head, turn'd key, not good, #1 has 30lbs compression, don't know wat I did wrong, car was run'n wid blown head gasket, exhast was come'n thru The cooling resevoir, now won't start @ all, gonna pulll the valve cove back off, ne suggestion will b deeply apreciated

Wrenchtech

March, 14, 2012 AT 1:51 PM

I suspect that now you have bent the valves because you didn't listen. This is an interference engine with very tight tolerances and what you did will bite you every time.

JIS001

March, 15, 2012 AT 2:03 PM

Are all the cylinders low on compression or just the #1? If it everything was ok just before and when you spun the engine it was ok then you could have one of the cams in the wrong position? Like I stated earlier I was not 100% on what position the cam would be up? So you may ant to look into trying to find the cam lock tool to see which cam is in the wrong position? Also did your crank line up too the mark also?

Wrenchtech

March, 15, 2012 AT 2:05 PM

I believe this engine times with nothing at TDC because of the clearance and you don't want to rotate the engine once the head is in place.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars