I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFRENT BETWEEN CAMSHAFT SENSOR AND CRANK SHAFT SENSOR WITH DIAGRAM

• rivieracoleman
  • 2000 Volvo S40
  • 125 miles

Problem with car cranking and engin running rough want to change camshaft sensor but I dont know what it looks likeor exactly where it goes
sorry I cant donate any thing at this time iam still out of work

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

• DrCranknWrench

Even low end 4 cylinders have twin cams. So you have; the crankshaft pulley, 2 camshafts withsprockets, and a interface with the coil pack.
So, it is redundant as there are so many things that can go wrong. The timing belt tensioner comes loose and it eventually skips a tooth, which would ne too late if you didn't have them. This keeps the 2 camshafts in sync with each toher as if they are degreed off from each other, igniton parameters must be changed. Then all of this timed to the cranksaft and the ignition system.
It gets very complicated but the reason for the redundancy is for safety or if you have a twin cam.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM