2000 JETTA TRUNK REPAIR

• Denise Shocklee
  • 2000 Volkswagen Jetta
  • manual

I have A 2000 JETTA 2.0 ENGINE 5 SPEED THE TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN WITH KEY OR INSIDE SWITCH I HAVE 208000 MILES AND HAS BEEN A GREAT CAR EXCEPT FOR A FEW ANNOYING THINGS. MY HUSBAND IS OUT OF WORK AND I HAVE NO MONEY BUT A GREAT MECHANIC WHAT CAN I DO?

Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 12:06 PM

• snapper

The same thing happened to me! I had to crawl through the back seat, take off the covering that covers the latch mechanism, and then I saw the problem. In order to unlock the trunk, the key (whichever way you use it) activates a motor. The motor then moves a plastic arm into a metal lever. When the metal lever moves, it unlocks the trunk. Well, considering the plastic arm is made of plastic, it breaks! Now the only way I can open the trunk is by crawling in the back seat and manually moving that metal lever. I ordered a replacement part off of ebay, but I haven't put it on yet. You could also check and see if there are any used auto parts lots near you. Sometimes they will put it on for you too. I have pictures of the broken pieces, lever, etc. On my computer at home, but I'm not at home right now.

Monday, May 2nd, 2011 AT 12:32 AM