Would not crank last night, raining, new battery

SAILORSBRIDE
  • 2000 TOYOTA SIENNA
Attempted to start van last night - starter runs but doesn't catch. Battery was replaced during summer with high cold crank amp battery. Live in metro Atlanta - not cold, but rained all day yesterday. Haven't had this problem previously, but think maybe it's moisture related?

Check engine light is on (and has been for >2 years). Have had codes pulled - appears to be one of the O2 sensors. Don't remember which one - but haven't had the $$ to replace.
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 2:52 PM

DOCFIXIT
Suspect starter motor pinion gear not engaging flywheel. Need to pull starter have tested most likely replaced
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:00 PM
SAILORSBRIDE
I've been going over what I had to do to get it started this morning. When I put the key in the ignition and turned it to ON, the lights in the car came on normally. The starter sounded like it was cranking normally, but didn't catch. I got irritated and pumped the gas pedal as I continued to turn the key. It sounded like it wanted to catch, but didn't. I pumped the gas hard, almost continually (was actually worried I might flood it) and finally it caught and started.

Once started, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with it.
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:23 PM
DOCFIXIT
Next time won't start see if acessory belts are turning. If yess need to check for spark at plugs. Also have codes read and post
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:37 PM
SAILORSBRIDE
One other thing: I put the van in neutral after attempting to start it the first time, and rolled it a (very) short ways. I think I finally got it started while it was still in neutral, but I'm not positive about that.

I really don't want to replace the starter! Can you tell?
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 3:43 PM
KHLOW2008
If the starter is not catching, it would be cranking with very high speed and there would be a meshing noise as the starter grinds against the flywheel.

What you are experiencing should be the starter is turning the engine but it is not firing up. You need to verify if it is fuel or sparks that is missing causing the non starting.
Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 AT 2:06 PM