CAR STUTTERING LOSING POWER IN 2ND TILL I GIVE IT MORE ACCELERATION...

2000 Toyota Avensis

faolteam

June, 3, 2012 AT 10:31 PM

I recently had a Timing Belt Snap and got it repaired,

my car has been playing up last few days, , I could hear a clinking sound and when I was taking of every so often there was like a small back fire noise, if I was in to high a gear she would really stutter,

this was particulary obviously if I was in a road were there was quite a lot of ramps near each other

i got the exhaust checked he said there was nothing wrong with it had full comporession

but what he did notice was that an arm had come out of this I think its vacumn maybe someone here can tell me or advise what might it be

Jacobandnickolas

June, 3, 2012 AT 11:17 PM

If the check engine light is on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Also, check to make sure the fuel pump is within spec and check fuel filter.

faolteam

June, 3, 2012 AT 11:25 PM

No the engine light was not on, you dont think it could be piston slack?

faolteam

June, 4, 2012 AT 9:30 PM

Somebody said it might be this would u agree I recognise the engine part and know what engine it is - Leanburn 1.8 petrol 7A-FE.

The part is the vacuum switch that controls the valves to 4 of the 8 intake ports.

The rod of the vacuum swtch has detached from valve control lever.

I had the same problem which caused the car to have flat performance at a certain revs, depending how much the port valves are open, strong performance at other revs.

My permanent fix was to use a spire clip - these come in car speaker kits to be used with self tapping screws. This keeps the rod from seperating from the lever. It's been there for 5 years.

jason1254

September, 4, 2012 AT 9:05 AM

Where is the rod of the vacuum positioned in the engine as this pproblem seems very similar to mine.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet