HORN STOPPED WORKING BUT WOULD WORKS INTERMITTENTLY.

2000 Toyota Avalon

tuch93mc

October, 4, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

Horn has short in ground. It seems to be between the steering column and body. What does the elect connection(round plastic ring) steering column under dash do? I have replaced the slip ring(center spiral connector) behind steering wheel. The ground connection between the steering shaft and the body of vehicle seems to have a opening. What is the plastic ring electric on the steering shaft under the dash? Could that be the problem

Horn Does Not Work

Horn Not Working

October, 4, 2011 AT 6:39 PM

It sounds like you mean you replaced the clock sprind. It may have been the issue but in most cases, the steering wheel pad is the culprit. Have it checked to verify but it gorunds the relay and activates the horn.

tuch93mc

October, 5, 2011 AT 12:15 AM

Thanks Roy, I did replace the clock sprind. It is not the steering wheel pad. I can make the horn blow by touching the ground wire to the metal around the streeing wheel but it will not blow when touched to the spline where steering wheel mounts. Dou know what the plastic donut ring aroung the steering rod undeer the dash just abouve the knukle joint.

October, 5, 2011 AT 12:28 AM

The ground wire is fed up the column to the clock spring, then to the pad. If there is no power to the pad, then either a bad connection at the clock spring or a broken wire on the way up