Codes P1135 and P1155

SEND2DODO
  • 2000 TOYOTA AVALON

I had some repair work done on the intake manifold of my 2000 Avalon with 125K miles. There was some oil leak from there. Now 1 week later the CEL comes on with codes P1135 and P1155. Figured that was Bank 2 Sensor 1 (front of engine exhaust manifold ) and Bank 1 Sensor 1 (rear engine exhaust manifold ) A/F sensor heaters going bad. Both heater circuit resistance was too high. Had them replaced by the local mechanic with OEM equiv. Denso 234-9021. Denso makes the actual Toyota sensors (with the Toyota labels).

After an hour the CEL is back with same P1135 and P1155. Mechanic says resistance is within range on both sensors. However he checked the wiring and the A/F Sensor Heater Relay and he is seeing +1 V higher. All fuses are OK. Wondering what to do now. Should I replace the Denso ones with the Toyota branded ones? Could the ECU be bad?

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 12:37 AM

ASEMASTER6371

I am glad to see he checked the fuses for the heater as one of the sensors had a bad heater. The chances of 2 failing at the same time are slim to none.
You need to see if the pcm is providing a ground for the heaters. If it is not, then it may be a pcm. If it does, then it may need different sensors. We use only oem air/fuel ratio sensors.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 2:54 AM
HOT WHEELS

On my 2000 Toyota Avalon I had codes P1135 and P1155 AF heater malfunction. I replaced both AF sensors, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, sparkplugs, and sent PCM in for repair. PCM had some bad components related to the o2 portion. Still had light on after all this. Reading that the heater circuit is grounded through the PCM I ran a ground wire from the PCM to the battery and light went out. Problem solved.

+9
Saturday, August 8th, 2015 AT 8:09 AM
GARY LEE2

I am having the same problem 1135 and 1155 heater malfunction and response issue, I also replaced all three sensors and problem continues. I have also come to the conclusion of an intermittent ground fault, my question is the ecm normally grounded to the chassis?

Wednesday, July 19th, 2017 AT 9:23 PM
SEND2DODO

Did you have some repair work done before the malfunction originally occurred? I changed my sensors needlessly. It turned out that when I had some unrelated repair work done on my engine, the mechanic forgot to correctly place back one of the wires (maybe the ground but it has been a long time). The loose wire caused the sensors to fail even after I needlessly changed them. Once the wire was grounded properly I used the car for 2 more years with the Denso sensors and never got any trouble. Luckily I got a top quality Toyota/Lexus expert who just measured the voltage with a multimeter and followed the wires and found the issue in less than 20 mins. The earlier mechanic and his partner who caused the problem was suggesting changing the ECU and everything else even though they have been doing this for over 50 years then. Not that they were dishonest, just not knowledgeable enough.

Wednesday, July 19th, 2017 AT 9:55 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Glad you got it fixed. Please use 2Carpros anytime.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, July 20th, 2017 AT 11:32 AM

Related P1155 Content

Recommended guides