COOLANT LEAK

2000 Toyota 4Runner

mchlwell

January, 8, 2011 AT 5:59 AM

Describe your problem.I bought a 2000 toyota 4runner about 6mos. Ago. I have just started seeing a fairly small puddle under it which seems to be antifreeze. It seems to leak overnight. When I am driving it does not run hot or leak when I park it until it sits for awhile. Best I can tell it seems to be leaking around the thermostat. It has 120, 00 miles on it and the timing belt was replaced @ 105, ooo miles, I assume the water pump was replaced also. Could it be leaking somewhere else other than the thermostat? Should I just repace the thermostat and see if that solves it. Should I get the parts straight from the dealer or somewhere else?

obxautomedic

Ok, have you had to add coolant?

If it is leaking at the thermostat, the reason for not see a leak when engine is hot is because it burns it off, so do you smell coolant at any time or anything that smells like it's burning?

You can change the thermostat it would be the cheaper of the possible fixes. And you can pick one up from any parts store.

.

mchlwell

I have had to add some and do smell it a little after I get out of the truck. I am planning on flushing it because it looks nasty, kind of rusty looking. I got out there with a mirror this morning and can tell it is coming from the area of the thermostat but cant see the bottom of the thermostat. Is there anything else that would be leaking in that area?

obxautomedic

I don't believe there is anything else in that area. The only other thing is this if it has the Spring Clamps instead of the Worm Gear Clamps then that could be the problem.

Worm Gear Clamp
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/233307.jpg

Spring Clamp
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/504911.jpg

.

mchlwell

I just took another look at it and it looks like it may be a little bit behind the thermostat. Is that the water pump housing that the thermostat housing bolts to and if so could it be the water pump gasket or water pump? I have replaced water pumps before but never when there was a timing belt involved. Is this a complicated job?

obxautomedic

Ok, yes the thermostst housing bolts to the Water Pump.

Yes it can be complicated job, the complication is making sure the timimg marks are in the correct position.

You will have to remove pretty much everything from the front of the engine along with the Radiator(for room to work).

If you are considering attaching this job, I will suggest you keep a digital camera handy and take plenty of pic. Place bolts and nut in baggies and mark what they are for.

Also since the Timing Belt was changed about 15k miles ago, you should be ok to just replace the water pump. I won't usually do this type of job unless I change everything, water pump and timing components, when the water pump is run by the timing belt.

Below is a diagram for aligning timing marks.

obxautomedic

Here are a couple more diagrams.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement