HOW DO I RESET THE TIMING BACK TO NORMAL ON MY CAR?

• michellespano
  • 2000 Saturn Station Wagon

I replaced the water pump and went wrong somewhere with the timing because the car won't start. Are there marks on this cars timing that I can refer to.

Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 10:24 PM

• saturntech9

Which engine do you have?

Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 11:30 PM
  • michellespano

2.2 l v4 engine

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 2:33 AM
  • saturntech9

When you changed the water pump did you use the holding tool or pull the front cover?The water pump runs off the balance shaft chain not the timing chain if that was out of time the engine would start but vibrate.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 4:05 AM
  • michellespano

On a 2000 saturn lw1? It looks like the timing chain to me. The engine won't turn over at all. So that would mean the timing chain if off right?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 4:42 AM
  • saturntech9

Look for yourself the water pump sprocket is in the upper left hand side in the pic. The timing chain runs on the outter sprocket so it wouldnt line up with the water pump pulley.I have replaced lots of those timing chains and the chain goes around the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket. So what did you do?Please give details I asked you questions and you never answered them.I wasnt there to see how you did it.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:11 AM
  • saturntech9

Also read the timing chain install instructions I posted doesnt say anything about put the chain around the water pump.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 5:42 AM
  • michellespano

Awesome! I just needed that damn diagram to know exactly where each colored link went. I found out that the manual for my car had certain things they were supposed to update in the timing section so im sure the water pump was part of it. THANK YOU!

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 7:35 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome thats what were here keep me posted on how you make out.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
  • michellespano

Now we just dont know how to turn the sprockets to get them in the right position. We were way off. The bottom sprocket is at 12, not 6. Or do we completely take the chain off to turn the sprockets, or can we leave the chain on?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 9:00 PM
  • saturntech9

Those colored links only line up every 33 revolutions if memory serves correct. Those colored links are for intial timing setting when the timing chain is removed and out back on or replaced. Why did the timing jump?Those engines are known for bad timing chains and timing chain tenisors the early ones anyways like yours. To set the timing if its off you have to remove the chain. How far off was the timing?Because thats a interfernce engine meaning if its off too far the pistons can hit the valves.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 9:30 PM