Changed the heater core now car running hot

DFLORES12
  • 2000 SATURN SL1

Two days ago water was leaking on passager side of car so I changed the heater core now my car is running hot when I come to a light. When I start moving again the temperature goes down I don't understand what happened is it the thermostat or something else someone said I had air in line somewhere if this true how do I get it out thanks

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 8:32 PM

SATURNTECH9

First of all are you sure you have a sl1 and not a LS1?The SL1 model never traps air in the cooling system. But the LS1 trap air all the time plus the LS models I have changed tons of heater cores and the SL model barely have ever changed any.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 8:37 PM
DFLORES12

I'm sure it says it on my title I just don't know why it's running hot now

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 8:45 PM
SATURNTECH9

Ok just making sure after my many years of working on saturns I have found a lot of customers are unsure of the model they have.I just dont want to waste time giving info on the wrong model. So does your ac work?If so turn it on does your radiator fan come on with the ac?Also how hot does the temp get?The radiator fan comes on just after the temp gauge goes past the half way mark on the gauge. Also the coolant is full?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 8:54 PM
DFLORES12

Yes the a.C. Works but it will come blow cool then it will shut off the fan does come on I don't know the accurate temp I know it goes to red it's full of coolant

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:05 PM
SATURNTECH9

Alright now were getting some where so the ac clutch kicks on and the radiator cooling fan doesnt come on?If so thats why its overheating the radiator cooling fan is inop. Do you have multimeter?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:34 PM
DFLORES12

The fan does come the a.C. Blows cold then starts blowing hot but the fan is working I don't know what a multimeter is

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:42 PM
SATURNTECH9

So the radiator fan under hood that attaches to the radiator comes on with the ac?Iam not talking about the inside blower fan that blows air into the car.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:47 PM
DFLORES12

Yes that fan comes on I've heard it. I don't think it comes on when a.C. Comes on thou

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:54 PM
SATURNTECH9

It should always come on with the ac if it doesnt it will cause the ac compressor to turn on and off. Try it now start the car up and turn the ac on make sure the ac compressor kicks on is the radiator fan on?It really sounds like your radiator fan has failed from your symptoms with the ac and the overheating unless your moving.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:59 PM
DFLORES12

Ok started car turned on a.C radiator fan didn't come on had to turn it by hand to jump it. Then it came on so I need another radiator fan

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM