Thermostat location

ANONYMOUS
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Where is the thermostat located on a 2.4L engine?

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

ASEMASTER6371

It is located under the intake manifold on a pipe from water pump to heater hose.

Here is a guide and diagram.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

(It is a little difficult to access check out the diagram below)

+2
Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 1:28 AM
BIGRAY1369

I just changed the thermostat and the heater hose connector on a 2001 Grand Am with the 2.4 L engine. I found absolutely no correct information on this subject anywhere on the internet, so count yourself fortunate that you have found this.
First, Raise the front end of the vehicle on the passenger side. Once it is safely supported, crawl underneath and follow the lower radiator hose back till it connects to a steel tube. This tube is also the thermostat housing. It turns and goes up to a location between the trans-axle and the exhaust manifold. Just past the connection point of the hose, there is a support bracket that is bolted to the engine. Remove the bolt from the bracket. If I remember correctly, it will require a 13 mm wrench. Next lower the vehicle back down. Leaning over the fender on the passenger side, look behind the engine and you will see a heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold. It is held on by three bolts that are threaded into the exhaust manifold. I recommend soaking them with a penetrate such as Kroil or Liquid Wrench because they may be seized due to the heat and corrosion. You will need a 1/4 " drive ratchet and a short extension with a 10 mm socket to remove the three bolts. Once the heat shield is removed, look down between the exhaust manifold openings, to the left side, and you will see the location where the thermostat housing is attached by two bolts. Using the 1/4" drive ratchet, an 8 mm socket, and multiple 1/4" extensions, you can reach both bolts. Remove the two bolts and the thermostat housing will drop down allowing access to the thermostat. Reach down around the rear of the exhaust manifold and feel for the thermostat. It will likely be stuck in the upper housing. Remove it along with the rubber seal. Take a new rubber seal and coat it with a silicone grease and install it around the outer edge of the new thermostat. With the pointed end of the thermostat pointing down, place the thermostat and seal into the lower thermostat housing. ( You need to be sure that the thermostat cylindrical side is toward the engine when installed.) Depending on your height, it may be easier to do this from beneath the vehicle. Raise and safely support the vehicle and crawl back underneath ad raise the thermostat housing tube into position. While holding it there, re-install the bracket bolt. Next, lower the vehicle back down and then re-install the two thermostat housing bolts. If you are replacing the heater hose quick connector, which I recommend once the vehicle has overheated because it is made of plastic and may have been weakened, follow the 3/4" steel tube from the top of the thermostat housing toward the drivers side and you will come to the connector. Pinch in the two side clips on the outside of the connector and slide it off of the end of the tube. Next pull the hose up and remove the clamp and connector. Using a small amount of silicone grease, coat the inside seal of the connector and reinstall it in the hose. Tighten the hose clamp, move the hose back down into position, and then slide the connector onto the tube until it seats. Next, set the heat sheila back in place. Take the three bolts from the heat shield and apply a small amount of anti-seize to the threads. Reinstall the three bolts. Now you are ready to add your anti-freeze and water mixture to the reservoir. Once full, replace the reservoir cap and start the engine. Let it come up to operating temperature and check for leaks.
Good luck!

+38
Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 AT 6:12 AM
OLIVEIRACT
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

location of t-stat on 2.4, upper or lower water inlet hose?
Please give specific details, thank you

Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 AT 9:43 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

The thermostat is located on the tube headed to the water pump. Here is a guide and a diagrams (Below) of how to do the job

Here is your car (below)

CRYSTALGOLEM420
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L Quad 4: Im trying to find the location of the thermostat. Ive gotten a "bible" for the car but I covers a lot of different make and models of cars and so I got confused on the location. Also whats the proceedure on changing it?

SDALTON19

Thermostat is located on the bottom side of the water pump here is the service procedure for replacing it
REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

1. Negative battery cable.
2. Drain and recover the coolant until level is below thermostat.
3. Coolant inlet housing bolt accessible through exhaust manifold.
4. Raise vehicle.
5. Radiator outlet pipe stud.
6. Second coolant inlet - housing bolt.
7. Coolant inlet housing.
8. Thermostat.
9. Clean mating surfaces.

INSTALL OR CONNECT

1. Thermostat.
2. Coolant inlet housing and gasket, then torque bolts to 14 Nm (10 ft lbs).
3. Coolant inlet housing bolt.
4. Lower vehicle.
5. Coolant inlet housing bolt through exhaust manifold.
6. Fill and pressure test cooling system, then inspect for leaks.

MMMM08GERB
  • 1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I have changed the water pump once in this car and I thought the thermostat was under the exhaust too, is this correct or do I need to look for the thermostat in another location?

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Thermostat is located rear of the engine just below the exhaust manifold

BUBBINATORX2000
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE with a 2.3L DOHC. I have been having problem with it occasionally overheating and want to replace the thermostat. I have checked several websites as to the wereabouts of the thermostat with no success! One website says that I have to remove the waterpump and another said to remove the exhaust manifold! I am totally frustrated and need to fix this problem. I have the mechanical capabilities to do it myself but I need the answer to this question. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

MERLIN2021

Here's how and where...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_TStat4cylc_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_TStat4cyl_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_TStat4cylb_1.jpg

TRILBY4@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Where is the thermostat located and how to remove it. Thanks

Follow the upper radiator back to the engine. It will end at the thermostat housing. Disconnect the battery, drain the radiator, remove the upper rad hose from housing, remove the two bolts that hold the housing in place, remove, clean old gasket material, and replace. NOTE: Pay attention to how the thermostat is sitting so you can replace it sitting the same direction.

Reverse procedure to replace.

ERIKJIMENEZ
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Other Category problem
1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

where is the thermostat located

BLACKOP555

Find the upper radiator hose and follow it back to the engine, whre it connects is the thermostat housing it is usualy held on by two bolts, remove it and you will see the thermostat, if you cant find it at the upper radiator hose, it may be at the end of the bottom radiator hose.

JOSHUA KERR
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Putting in a new thermostat where is it located?

See pictures, you have to go through the wheel well to reach it.

ALAN DOUGLAS
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89787 miles

where is my thermostat located and how do I install it

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello and thanks for donating

Your vehicle's thermostat will be found at the end of the bottom radiator hose, on the under side of the engine and the exhaust manifold needs to be removed first.

RANAE LASKE
  • 1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 151153 miles

my car is running on an average 220 and if going up an incline, it will be between 220 and the red zone.
I thought it might be the thermostat, becouse nothing steems, or gets to the red. So I bought the thermostat and can not find where it is located. Do you think it's the t-stat and if so help me find it and what I will need to do the job, please. And if not, do you know what it could be?

BLUELIGHTNIN6

If the coolant level is full and cooling fan(s) are coming on then the next thing to check would be the thermostat. Your thermostat is at the end of the top radiator hose where it connects to the engine