POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

ytirous

May, 7, 2011 AT 1:22 AM

On my 2000 pontiac grand am gt im leaking power steering fluid right under where I put in the fluid could it b the pump or the hose or the steering gear but its leaking right under the resevoir right under where I put in the fluid

caradiodoc

May, 7, 2011 AT 2:37 AM

It wouldn't be the steering gear. That is nowhere near the leak you described. The pump will leak around the shaft seal. You will see that sprayed outward on the backside of the pulley. If the leak is right under the reservoir and the fluid runs out without running the engine, suspect the reservoir is cracked or the o-ring in the connection to the pump is leaking. There are two clips to remove, then you can pull the reservoir off to look underneath it for cracks. If the engine has to be running for the fluid to run out, it's more likely to be the high pressure hose. Look where the rubber hose is crimped onto the metal pipe.

ytirous

May, 7, 2011 AT 2:47 AM

Thank u so much cause thats exactly what it was doing when I drove it I put fluid in and while the engine was running the fluid would go right out when the car was on it stayed thank u very much

Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement