INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PROBLEM

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

King_Raizen

February, 26, 2014 AT 8:37 AM

So I have a 2000 Grand Am GT the other day I started the car and the instrument panel did not turn on. The warning lights and turn signals work but the speed, gas, rpm and mileage gauges don't turn on at all. Also the back window heater, the heater/ac controls and the day time running lights don't work either when this happens. Sometimes the panel will turn on after a few minutes sometimes it won't ever turn on. Just need to know what the problem is so I can get it fixed, thanks

February, 26, 2014 AT 9:35 AM

Check applicable fuses. Not only check the fuses, check the fuse circuit for voltage. Use a testlite to check for voltage. Some fuses are hot all the time, some go hot with the key on. I haven't checked the wiring on all your issues, yet. It's possible your ignition switch has something in common with all these issues.

Below are the fuses I found for your instrument cluster, check them both for good fuse and voltage. With intermittent issues, you have to test when problem is ongoing.

King_Raizen

February, 26, 2014 AT 10:15 AM

Thank you JDL for the quick response. I will definitely check out the things you mentioned to try and find and fix the problem as soon as its not in the negatives outside.

February, 26, 2014 AT 10:55 AM

I understand about the temps. Lol

King_Raizen

February, 26, 2014 AT 1:50 PM

By the way if it does happen to be the ignition switch is there any easy way of getting to it so that way I can replace it myself? Any other helpful tips you may have to make the process easier.

February, 27, 2014 AT 8:43 AM

I don't have any tips. I wish I did. I usually do everything the hard way. Lol

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911