I need to know the best way to remove the camshaft sprocket Bolt?

BARB123
  • 2000 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
I am trying to remove my timing chain to replace the crankshaft sprocket and key. I have the timing cover off. The engine is still in the car. I tried getting it off with a breaker bar, with a vise grip attached to sprocket to stop movement. The bolt did not budge. How do I set the timing on this car, before removing the bolt? This is the ssei model.
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 3:09 PM

What engine?
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 3:26 PM
BARB123
It is a 3800 engine with the supercharger.
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 4:21 PM
Removal ENGINE¬

1. Remove¬ front¬ cover.¬ See FRONT¬ COVER.¬ Inspect¬ timing¬ chain¬ and¬ sprockets¬ for¬ wear.¬ Timing¬ chain¬ in and out¬ movement¬ should¬ not¬ exceed¬ 1"¬ (25.4¬ mm).¬ Replace¬ components¬ as¬ necessary.
2. Rotate¬ crankshaft¬ to¬ align¬ timing¬ marks¬ on¬ camshaft¬ and¬ crankshaft¬ sprockets.¬ See Fig.¬ 9.¬ Remove¬ timing¬ chain¬ damper¬ assembly.¬ Remove¬ camshaft¬ sprocket¬ bolts, ¬ and¬ discard.¬ Remove¬ camshaft¬ sprocket¬ and Expand/Co
timing¬ chain.¬ Remove¬ crankshaft¬ sprocket. HEADIN
? ART
NOTE: If¬ balance¬ shaft¬ has¬ been¬ moved, ¬ ensure¬ alignment¬ is¬ correct¬ before¬ installing¬ timing¬ chain¬ and¬ sprockets.¬ See BALANCE¬ SHAFT. ? MOD
? ENG
Installation AD
?
1. If¬ engine¬ has¬ been¬ rotated, ¬ rotate¬ the¬ crankshaft¬ so¬ No.¬ 1¬ cylinder¬ is¬ at¬ TDC.¬ Temporarily¬ install¬ camshaft¬ sprocket.¬ Rotate¬ camshaft¬ sprocket¬ so¬ timing¬ mark¬ points¬ downward.
2. Install¬ timing¬ chain¬ on¬ camshaft¬ and¬ crankshaft¬ sprockets.¬ Align¬ timing¬ marks.¬ See Fig.¬ 9.¬ Install¬ NEW¬ camshaft¬ sprocket¬ bolts.¬ Install¬ timing¬ chain¬ damper.¬ Rotate¬ engine¬ 2¬ revolutions.¬ Ensure¬ timing¬ marks¬ are ?
Aligned.¬ To¬ complete¬ installation, ¬ reverse¬ removal¬ procedure.
?
Fig.¬ 9:¬ Exploded¬ View¬ Of¬ Timing¬ Chain¬ &¬ Sprockets
Courtesy¬ of¬ GENERAL¬ MOTORS¬ CORP.

This is pretty cut and dried as far as removal and install. Your only problem wil be room and you cna either cut a hole in the fender well if the bolt is to long or beat the sheetmetal to make room but you sholdn't really have to. Once it's loosened up it should screw out by hand or a racheting combanation wrench. Remember to get anew bolt. Torque is 74 ft lbs plus 90 degrees
-1
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 4:39 PM

Sponsored links