Engine shuts down while driving

VALMARIE
  • 2000 OPEL CORSA
Hi, I drive a Corsa 1.4. The problem is the engine just shuts down while I am driving, usually when slowing down and during traffic. I already fitted a new fuel pump and coil, still the problem occurs. I have checked the fuel pump and it is okay. Please help.

Sunday, March 11th, 2012 AT 4:22 AM

KEN

This sounds like you have a crankshaft angle sensor that is going out which is a common problem with those cars. Here are a couple of guide to help you get the problem fixed:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-stalls

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 1:15 PM
MWMULDER
  • 2000 OPEL CORSA
Four cylinder two wheel drive manual.

Hi,

Sometimes whilst driving my Opel Corsa it will just cut out. All the lights on my panel will then flash on (oil, battery, engine, etc), all electronics would still be working though. I would wait several minutes then start the car and it would be fine for about ten seconds, cut out again and then when I start the car it works fine for the rest of my trip. It does not happen all the time only every now and then I think it could be some malfunctioning electronic component.
+5
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 10:31 AM (Merged)
DAVE H
Does the engine management light stay on? Remove and clean the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor, also add a good fuel additive to the tank to clean the fuel tank/lines and injectors.

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_633.png

MWMULDER
Yeah, the light still stays on. Where is the plug located though? Thanks a lot.
DAVE H
If you mean the DLC (data link connector) check under the ashtray (center of dash baord) set back a little, usually has a plastic cover over it.
MWMULDER
Yeah, I did some trouble shooting, a lot of Corsas' have this problem, it is not the CPS it is the fuel relay switch. CPS problems are only associated with heat, but generally they either work or they do not. They cannot not work every now and then.
+3
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 10:32 AM (Merged)
DAVE H
Believe me, the CKP (crank sensor) can and does work correctly sometimes and not others when dirty/worn. I was an RAC/Greenflag roadside tech for ten years prior to coming to the USA and have seen it first hand hundreds of times on corsa's. You are correct in your research about heat and damp conditions making the condition worse. I would still remove and clean the CKP. I hope by swapping out the relay your fault is cured.

Let me know.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_681.png

SEAN KELLY
  • 2000 OPEL CORSA
When I am driving and go to slow down the car just seems to cut out and shuts off. If I leave it for a while the car will restart and drive for a short distance only to cut out again.
-1
DAVE H
Check plugs wires and coils. Also, clean or replace crankshaft position sensor.
PAINTERJOE
  • 2000 OPEL CORSA
My car cuts out after driving for about fifteen minutes. It will not start again for five to ten minutes. It seems when engine warms up problem starts. I have been told it is some sort of sensor. Please help!
+2
DAVE H
Replace the crankshaft sensor.
JOHANNSWA
Hi all, just want to help you right here, crank shaft sensor or as we know it pulse magnet, cant cause this issue, it works or it does not work. Car wont fire at all if its faulty, I agree on one thing check crank shaft pulley key way, timing, and fuel relay. Best to see what causes the issue is to run the car till it cuts off. Open bonnet see left of fuel rail is a bleeding valve to check fuel pressure, when valve is pressed it should have pressure, if not replace fuel relay and voila!
Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 AT 12:59 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site. :)

Cheers, Ken
+1
Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 AT 9:59 AM