Can you bypass A/C compressor

AMIESIMPSON23
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE INTRIGUE
3.5 liter engine. The AC compressor has locked up and I was told that you can use a smaller serpentine belt to bypass the compressor and just not have AC. Is this possible?
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 6:50 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Instead of that, you can get a pulley replacement that bolts in after removing the AC compressor so the belt functions correctly. A company named Dorman makes this piece. Have done it many times.

+3
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 6:55 PM
AMIESIMPSON23
Does this involve taking the engine apart?
+1
Sunday, December 25th, 2011 AT 12:58 AM
ASEMASTER6371
No, just removing the AC compressor.

+1
Sunday, December 25th, 2011 AT 2:42 AM
Will the pulley turn free with the clutch disengaged?

The A/C and several heater positions that include "defrost" will make the clutch engage. If the compressor is locked up then the clutch engages it locks it all down.

What I am saying is, if you do not use those positions maybe it will be fine.

But even better!

Unplug the A/C clutch and use whatever heat positions you want it cannot come turn on.

If the bearings in the pulley is what is locked up you replace the clutch (and be glad the compressor was spared) you are back to square one, follow asemaster6371's instructions.

Keep us informed.

Merry Christmas!

The Medic
Sunday, December 25th, 2011 AT 3:04 AM
GEORGE LEAR
For 3.5 motor, use a Duralast 695K6 belt and route from bottom of tension-er around bottom of crank, up over water pump, down around alternator and back up over power steering to tension-er.
+6
Sunday, May 10th, 2015 AT 4:04 PM
PATRICKSPKWA
Thanks George Lear! I did not see anyone respond to your post about whether using the 695K6 belt worked or not, so I wanted to confirm the belt works perfectly to bypass the A/C. A $26.00 belt saved me over $1,000.00 to replace my A/C compressor. Also, I discovered this really is the only solution, as there is no dummy pulley for the 3.5l.

Thanks again for your post!
+3
Saturday, February 27th, 2016 AT 1:01 PM
VLEFAIVE
Hello all, I have an 02 Oldsmobile 3.5 and I am in the process of bypassing the compressor as well. I am going to try this belt too and have heard that it is 95 inch? My connection at the dealer mentioned the possibility a 80 inch belt is more appropriate. Wondering if you would mind posting a diagram of how you did it Patrick if you are on these days, would be appreciated truly, could trade notes before I start the job.
Hello from Whitby ON.
Vince
+2
Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 10:22 AM
VLEFAIVE
Done, yes the 69" belt works like a charm.
+2
Thursday, June 2nd, 2016 AT 10:42 AM