COOLANT LEAKING FROM HEATER CORE DRAIN TUBE

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

jamesbrumbaugh

August, 30, 2012 AT 2:58 PM

Car is losing coolant and it is creating a small puddle under the car. I have tracked the leakage problem to the heater core drain tube. I need to know what the problem is. Do I need to replace the heater core? Is it normal to have coolant drain from that hose? The heater core drain hose, (I think that is what it is called), is located on the rear lower left firewall as your looking from the front of the care, next to the A/C input and output lines. This problem started about 3 weeks ago, could it be related to the high temperatures we been having?

Thanks,

Jim

promechanic

August, 30, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

You most likely need to replace your heater core.
It is normal for condensation to build up and drain out of this tube when the AC is on. It is not normal to have coolant coming out of it.

Wrenchtech

August, 30, 2012 AT 3:22 PM

That's a condensation drain. It is normal for clear water to drain when the A/C is on but if it's coolant coming out, you have a bad heater core.

jamesbrumbaugh

August, 30, 2012 AT 4:13 PM

Well, that's a bummer. Looks like a long day at home pulling off the dash and replacing the core. Uhg. Not looking forward to a messing job.

Wrenchtech

August, 30, 2012 AT 4:21 PM

Yep, it's a tough one.

jamesbrumbaugh

August, 30, 2012 AT 4:46 PM

Thanks all for your help, some things just can't be figured out without expert help. You all have saved me a lot of time.

Wrenchtech

August, 30, 2012 AT 5:04 PM

You're welcome

Replace Heater Core
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe