STUPID PROBLEM

2000 Nissan Sentra

joannms

August, 9, 2011 AT 3:45 AM

2000 sentra 1.8 you can see belt wobble on crankshft pulley and it is making funny sound like ringing but hard to describe.(Kinda like rolling r's on your tongue)- I know it sounds stupid!

Danlesabre

August, 9, 2011 AT 3:59 AM

Is the whole pulley wobbling?

joannms

August, 9, 2011 AT 4:44 AM

Sorry, that I don't know. My husband said the belt was wobbling so to me I would think it is the crankshaft pulley moving too. Auto Zone said the harmonic balancer is attached to the crankshaft pulley. Do you think the noise is coming from the harmonic balancer? Last month we put in a new alternator.

joannms

August, 9, 2011 AT 5:06 AM

I don't know. I am concerned about the high rolling r sound it's making. Never have I ever heard that sound in my life from an engine. Auto Zone saod the harmonic balancer is attached to the cranksaft pulley. Could that be entire unit going out? My a/c also stops cooling at low speeds or when stopped. Take off it coools again most of the time. I do have to keep turning a/c off and on several times to make it cool again about twice a day. Could this pulley be doing this? Thx for the help!

caradiodoc

August, 9, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

Check the center bolt to see if it's missing or loose. I've had them come loose and the power steering suddenly quit without warning. No noise either until the balancer fell off. If it's loose, it will need to be replaced. The center of the hub will rounded out so it won't stay tight.

August, 9, 2011 AT 11:35 AM

If the center bolt is not loose, I believe the harmonic damper is bad and the pulley has to be replaced.

Guy857

August, 19, 2011 AT 7:32 PM

U can probably help me as well, I think I have the same problem. The chirping sound is kinda like a loud 8 foot cricket. From what I can tell with mine, its not wobbling, the part of the pulley for the alternator belt is travelling the shaft and hits the engine side n then travels back and hits the pulley for the other belt making the chirping sound, just need to know if it can b driven like this for a bit? Everything works and I am paycheck to paycheck and have'nt the funds to fix as yet. Also wondering why it would start traveling like that, is there always that much space or is that another problem?

caradiodoc

August, 19, 2011 AT 9:02 PM

Safe to drive depends on what's causing the belt to travel. A worn bearing in an idler pulley might just let the belt fall off. A loose vibration damper could simply fall off or it could turn into shrapnel and damage other parts.

Guy857

August, 19, 2011 AT 9:51 PM

Thanks for the input, tho its the inner crankshaft pulley that is traveling, not the idler. I am going to drive for now, n hope I can fix myself later!

August, 21, 2011 AT 5:06 AM

You would have to get it done asap as you would be having charging deficiency due to reduced speed of the pulley as it is slipping on the main pulley.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang