CAR SMOKING

2000 Mitsubishi Montero

mhulsey88

April, 9, 2011 AT 1:19 PM

2000 Mistsubishi Montero Sport is smoking when still and not when driving (maybe you just cannot see it) anyways, is it a burnt ring or valve?

caradiodoc

April, 9, 2011 AT 1:42 PM

Burned valves don't cause smoke. I assume you mean from the tail pipe and not under the hood or dash. Blue smoke is caused by burning engine oil. White smoke is a sign of coolant getting into the combustion chamber, typically from a leaking head gasket. Black smoke means there is too much fuel going into the engine.

mhulsey88

April, 9, 2011 AT 2:12 PM

Yes I do mean from the tailpipe. They have already checked the head gasket and said it was fine, but the smoke is whitish grey color!

caradiodoc

April, 9, 2011 AT 2:36 PM

The test they probably performed was at the radiator with a glass cylinder partially filled with two chambers of dark blue liquid. That tells if combustion gases are leaking into the cooling system. While that usually DOES happen at the same time, it is also possible for coolant to go only one way into the engine where it is burned.

Regardless of the results of that test, there are two other things that will identify a head gasket problem. The first is just to observe the coolant level in the reservoir. If it goes down over time and you don't see any external leaks, where did it go? The second thing you can do is to add a small bottle of dye to the coolant. It is dark purple. After driving far enough to see the smoke, you check with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain. If you see the tail pipe coated in bright yellow, you have definitive proof the head gasket is leaking.

BELIZE

May, 17, 2012 AT 4:33 PM

My mitsubishi montero sport xls 1999 smokes a little when idle coolant level does not go down. Check ups have told me that the EGR valve might be causing the problem can this be possible

caradiodoc

May, 17, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

You need to start a new question. When you piggyback on a previous one, I'm the only person who is going to get an automated e-mail directing me back here. No one else is going to see your post or be able to reply. That is doing yourself a disservice.

An EGR valve won't cause smoking from the tail pipe. All that valve does is redirect exhaust gas, which is supposed to be going out the tail pipe anyway, to run back through the engine again, then out the tail pipe. When the valve sticks open, it can cause a rough idle or even stalling, but it is supposed to be open under most driving conditions while at higher speeds where you won't notice it.

There will be some water vapor leaving the tail pipe, maybe even dripping water. That is a byproduct of a properly working catalytic converter. A lot of white smoke is a sign of burning coolant. Blue smoke is engine oil, and black smoke is too much unburned fuel.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang