WHAT COULD CAUSE MY BRAKES TO NOT WORK?

2000 Mercedes Benz C230

aprildeniz94

May, 5, 2012 AT 3:59 AM

I have a 2000 c230 kompressor and my brakes are very bad. Today, I was on the highway and I tried to slow down and my brakes would stick and my car wouldn't stop and it wouldn't slow down. I slammed on my brakes and kept my foot on the brake and finally it slowed down and I managed to pull into a parking lot and stop and park. I was wondering what might cause this to happen? Also, a light comes on that says BAS/ESP and I don't know what it is.

Advice101

May, 5, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

With the symptoms you are having it sounds like you might have a problem with air pockets in you brake system or low on brake fluid. Have you had your brakes looked at? Might have worn brake pads also

first thing I would do is check your brake fluid make sure its full if not check for visible leaks

also check your brake linings might just need a set of new brake pads

Bas/ - brake assist, could be a faulty brake switch located on the brake pedal would be better to scan the vehicle and check the code

ESP/ - electronic stability systems, common problem is a steering angle sensor. Best to scan vehicle

May, 6, 2012 AT 2:13 AM

I DON'T THINK I'D DRIVE IT TILL YOUR BRAKES ARE FULLY FUNCTIONAL

NICE ANSWER Advice101

MIGHT ALSO SEE IF THE MASTER CYLINDER IS LETTING FLUID BY THE PLUNGER/ O-RINGS (SOME PEOPLE CALL THIS "INTERNAL LEAKING")

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT'S WORKING OUT

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma