WHAT COULD CAUSE A SORT OF GROWLING NOISE FROM ...

2000 Mazda 626

noviik

October, 17, 2012 AT 5:15 AM

What could cause a sort of growling noise from the front of the car? I noticed that when driving at highway speeds (anywhere from 45mph) there is a "growling" noise coming from the front of the car when pressing the brakes to bring the car to a stop. Usually happens when making a turn as well ( like going off onto an exit ramp, etc.) Thanks

saturntech9

October, 17, 2012 AT 5:50 AM

The first thing I would do is do a brake inspection.

noviik

October, 17, 2012 AT 5:59 AM

But it doesnt sound like it is coming from the brakes. I replaced the brake a few months ago. The noise began to occur in the past week or two. It sounds like its somewhere from the engine or exhaust manifold. Could it have anything to do with the catalytic converter or the exhaust manifold gasket? Thanks again

saturntech9

October, 17, 2012 AT 6:08 AM

You said you hear it coming from the front while stepping on the brakes so the brakes would make the most sense. Stepping on the brakes doesnt effect the engine making noise. What kind of brakes did you put on?Please be specific?

noviik

October, 17, 2012 AT 6:16 AM

I used the brakes recommended by the auto shop. And like I said, that was a while ago, the car ran and stopped great when I replaced them. The car doesnt squeel or grind, the noise sounds like a really bad exhaust or something, yet there are no holes in the exhaust pipe or muffler that I can see. It's not my car, but Im trying to be as specific as I can be, recalling from my memory. The growling noise doesnt occur just when you press the brakes, but when you release your foot off the gas. Sorry about that. It is when I drive and approach a stop, I release the gas pedal to get ready to hit the brakes, and it growls/purrs until I come to a stop. Hope this helps. Thanks

saturntech9

October, 18, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

See if the noise goes away in neutral?

noviik

October, 19, 2012 AT 3:50 AM

Ok I will try it this weekend and let you know whether it does or doesnt, as well as any other information I can gather. Thanks for your time.

saturntech9

October, 19, 2012 AT 5:22 AM

Your welcome keep me posted.

noviik

October, 24, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Yeah it still makes that noise in nuetral. It also occurs when accelerating, but not when accelerating slowly. It's not a loud head turning noise, but it is noticeable. Like I said it sounds sort of like a bad muffler or something, but it comes from the front of the car. Maybe im just over reacting? Thanks again.

saturntech9

October, 24, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

Maybe the exhaust manifold is leaking?

noviik

October, 24, 2012 AT 5:11 AM

Yeah thats kind of what I'm thinking, just wanted to see if anything else could be the problem, something I may not know about. Is there a way to tell? I mean are there any tests I can do besides just taking it apart and inspecting it? Thanks for your input.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front