CAN YOU RECOMMEND A DECENT DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER FOR HOME USE?

2000 Lincoln Town Car

jpsienicki

March, 28, 2012 AT 4:24 PM

I am not a mechanic, but I do almost all of my own maintenance, and I am adventurous enough to try almost anything on my car (after doing some online research). I understand that some diagnostic computers require expensive computer software (for professional use and extremely specific diagnosing) and some do not (for basic diagnosing). I am looking for a recommendation for one from each category. Thank you.

saturntech9

March, 28, 2012 AT 4:30 PM

How about just a scanner that reads your engine and transmisson codes and basic live engine data?One that reads everything is a lot of money to lay out for a diyer. Also to get a good used one that reads everything air bags abs etc is about 600.I have seen ones that read engine and transmission and basic live engine data for about 50 something.

jpsienicki

March, 28, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

Thank you for the information. I will look for a basic model with engin/trans codes and live engine data. Do you recommend any brands?

saturntech9

March, 28, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

Here is the one I think you couldnt wrong with it does live data freeze frame data from set codes and reads transmission and engine codes plus will tell you if the emissions monitors are set.