Speedometer and odometer stopped working

ANONYMOUS
  • 2000 LEXUS RX 300

The speedometer and odometer both stopped working. The code was P0500, defective speed sensor, so I changed both speed sensors at the transmission and it did not fix the problem

Friday, November 9th, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

KHLOW2008

Based on information in our database, the speed sensors are via the ABS control unit and from wheel sensors. Are you sure you replaced the correct component?

DTC P0500: VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (VSS) MALFUNCTION

Circuit Description

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) wheel speed sensors detects wheel speed and sends signals to ABS ECU. The ABS ECU converts signals into a 4-pulse signal and outputs signal to instrument cluster. Instrument cluster converts signal to a more precise waveform and outputs signal to ECM. ECM determines vehicle speed based on frequency of these pulse signals. DTC is set when ECM does not detect any VSS signal while vehicle is in motion. Possible causes are:

l Faulty wheel speed sensors.
L Open or short in VSS circuit.
L Faulty instrument cluster.
L Faulty ECM.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 6:57 PM
ABUELLIA

I experienced this problem today. Trouble code. I check the speed sensor, and wheel sensor by my scanner. It was fine, I disconnected the instrument cluster, cleaned the connection then installed it back. I cleared the trouble code, then test drive. It was good ;) check engine light did not come back, and both of the odometer and the speedometer working again.

Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 4:48 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey ABUELLIA,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help people.

Best, Ken

Saturday, February 18th, 2017 AT 5:16 PM

Related Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS Replace/Remove Questions

Help us by donating