COMPASS WORKS THE OUTSIDE THERMOMETER DOES NOT?

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

lwaharleyboy

February, 27, 2012 AT 1:37 AM

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the overhead message center. The compass works but the outside thermometer does not. I have replaced the ambient air temperature sensor behind the grill but it still won't work. The message center says

Please tell me what "open circuit" means and how to solve outside temperature problem.

Nice site : -)

caradiodoc

February, 27, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

An open circuit is a brake in the circuit. The most common cause is the outside temperature sensor is unplugged. Next, look for a broken wire, typically near the sensor. The sensor itself could be bad but it's such a simple device that they rarely fail.

lwaharleyboy

February, 27, 2012 AT 2:07 AM

I replaced the sensor this weekend and am sure it is plugged inbut I still have the open circuit message. Is there any way to get a wiring schematic to trace the wires?

caradiodoc

February, 27, 2012 AT 2:26 AM

This will take a while. I have to wind up a different computer to access Chrysler's web site, then e-mail the diagram to myself.

lwaharleyboy

February, 27, 2012 AT 2:38 AM

Thanks. I appreciate any help I can get. This is the only problem I have with this Jeep. Thanks again.

caradiodoc

February, 27, 2012 AT 5:10 AM

Rats. They changed their web site and now my password doesn't work. I'll try to figure something out, but in the meantime, you might try unplugging the connector for the sensor and jumping the terminals together with a stretched out paper clip, then see if the display shows "-40". If it does, check if those pins are stretched and not making good contact with the sensor pins.