HORN 2000 JAG XK8

• gbkelly2
  • 2000 Jaguar XK8
  • automatic

2000 Jaguar XK8 - The low note on my horn failed. The dealer wanted to replace the entire system fro $500. I want to replace just the low note. Can I do this? Where si the horn under the hood?

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 5:19 PM

• bluelightnin6

Both of the horns will be located directly behind the front bumper, it may be accessed by raising the vehicle or you may need to remove the front bumper to access the horns.

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 8:03 PM
  • gbkelly2

Thank you. I will look for the horns as described. Is it likely that just the low-note horn is defective? Do you have any thoughts as to why the dealership wanted to replace the entire system for $500? Might a $25 horn do the trick?

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 8:45 PM
  • bluelightnin6

Most likely just to make money honestly. The horn system is fairly simple. The circuit contains a fuse, a relay and the horn switch on the steering wheel. If the horns still work and only the low note has failed than none of those components would be at fault which only leaves wiring and the horns themselves.

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 4:45 AM