ENGINE DIED WHILE DRIVING

• Madracefan55
  • 2000 INFINITI INFINITY QX4

I have a 2000 Infiniti QX4 that sputtered then died while driving and will not start now. 1/2 tak of fuel, can hear the pump noise when the IGN is turned on, took the fuel in to the rail of and have pressure, removed the # 3 plug and can smell fuel on it, tested turning over with the # 3 spark plug in the wire and there is spark @ the plug, I tested the power to the Distributer and that is good, Primmary resistor is @ 1.1ohms and secondary is @ 2.05kohms. Can anyone help with what the issue could be? Please

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

• Rivermikerat

When was the timing belt last replaced? Remove the oil cap and see if you can see the rockers moving. See if the rotor in the distributor is turning.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 1:34 AM
  • Madracefan55

Everything turns and when I pulled plug # 3 out and turned the eng over with the plug in the wire I get spark.

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 2:45 AM
  • Rivermikerat

Have you had it scanned for codes? Checked for vacuum leaks?

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 3:07 AM
  • Madracefan55

No codes, I have a scanner. Everything rotates looked around for any vac lines off or cracked and all looks good. I left the bat disconnected all last night before connecting this morning in hopes that maybe the CPU needed a reboot but still no start

Thursday, January 5th, 2012 AT 11:18 PM
  • Rivermikerat

Engine running needs 3 things. Air. Fuel. Spark. They need to be in the correct ratio and at the right time. Remove plug #1. Rotate the engine until the piston is at the top of its rotation. Check the crankshaft dampener for the timing mark to be lined up with the zero on the timing indicator. Next check the distributor rotor to be aligned with the #1 plug tower. If the timing mark or rotor is incorrect, rotate the engine another 180 degrees by hand and check again. Piston all the way up. Crank indicator at zero. Rotor electrode pointing to #1 plug tower. If all three don't line up, the timing belt has slipped.

Friday, January 6th, 2012 AT 4:38 AM