My car overheats when I am idling and the fans do not come on unless I tap on them. What could be the problem?

MICKIMCMILLEN
  • 2000 INFINITI I30

My car is a 2000 Infiniti I30 that overheats when I am idling and the fans do not come on unless I tap on them. I just put a front motor mount on the radiator side and then the problem began. Also, is there a way to make the motors run continuously so then the car wouldn't overheat?

Thanks Micki

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 11:21 PM

DJCL
  • 786 POSTS

If you tap them and thay start to run your looking @ either a bad connection or bad fan motor. Un likely 2 fans went bad. Check all your connectors well.

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

TAPPING EITHER "DISTURBS" THE ELECTRIC MOTOR--MAYBE THE BRUSHES ARE BAD. OR. THE TAPPING IS "DISTURBING" THE FAN RELAY, AND YOU'RE MAKING IT "MAKE". IF THIS IS THE CASE, A NEW RELAY WOULD BE THE CORRECT THING TO REPLACE

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 12:18 AM

Since you just installed a motor mount, check grounds and check to make sure there is no damage to the wiring.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
CADIEMAN

Check the fan relays. Hot wire the fans and see they work. Tapping and it works sounds like a bad fan motor

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 12:30 AM
MICKIMCMILLEN

Thanks to everyone that answered. I will try these things and let you know. Micki

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM