My car goes into neutral

MEGANJOHNS
  • 2000 HONDA CIVIC

Then turn it off it works again then 2 blocks later in neutral again what it be could it be. I have 2000 honda civic was running fine then went into neutral turn it off and back on and it will drive for 2 blocks then same problem. I have flushed tranny, and someone said my main seal was leaking so we changed that to. I have been told it could be neutral safety switch but was told by someone else that switch would make car not run at all then someone said something about cat converter I dont know I am lost

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 7:58 PM

SATURNTECH9

A bad cat won't cause the car to go into neutral. It will cause a big loss of power though. Have you check the computer for codes yet?

-1
Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 8:36 PM
KHLOW2008

This is definitely a fault with the transmission and it could be the control solenoids, wiring, the PCM or a failing transmission due to internal leakages.

If there are trouble codes, let us know what they are.

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 9:48 PM
MEGANJOHNS

It reads the co2 the transmision fluid is real dark but dont smell and there is no metal only its thick at bottem

-1
Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
SATURNTECH9

What do you mean it reads the CO 2 transmission?

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 10:30 PM
MEGANJOHNS

It read a sensor code or something then I was saying transmission fluid is real dark and thick with no metal in it. They said the code could be anything from computer loose wire o2 sensor ext

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 10:39 PM
KHLOW2008

The O2 sensor would have nothing to do with the transmission. If transmission does jerks hard when shifting and you don't have trouble codes, that would mean the transmission has internal faults and would have to be rebuilt or replaced.

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 11:11 PM
MEGANJOHNS

I was told I could flush it with paint relaxer what would that do

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 11:13 PM
KHLOW2008

If the trans has failed due to internal leakages, flushing would be a waste of time and money. Honda strongly discourages flushing their transmissions.

-1
Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 11:19 PM
MEGANJOHNS

What you mean internal leakages the car ran fine lost no fluid the fluid was nasty the only problem is it slips out gear and it wont go back in until you turn it off and back on then it will only go short distance. I was told if there is no metal in fluid and it dont smell burned the tranny is fine. I cant afford a tranny and I have no friends or family I have to fix this car on my own or loose my job please help

-1
Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 11:34 PM
SATURNTECH9

How often to change the fluid in that car?Those Hondas are sensitive if you don't change the fluid enough u ruin the transmission.

Monday, August 27th, 2012 AT 11:44 PM
KHLOW2008

Internal leakages means pressure leaks. Before you try anything, ensure the fluid level is correct.

I do not know if your vehicle is equipped with this but you can check. Between the transmission and radiator there is a cooler hose with an in-line filter attached. Remove the filter and check for clogging.

Get a scan and let me know the exact trouble codes you are getting.

Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 6:06 AM
MEGANJOHNS

The only code is p1768 also the green d4 light has been blinking since we canged rear main seal. We are looking at the ecm now how would we know if that is the problem once it is off

Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 4:09 PM
KHLOW2008

Now you are telling me there is trouble codes. Withholding information means we are not going to get to the cause of the problem. D4 light blinking indicates a fault has been detected.

P1768 is a fault with the Liner Soleanoid which is one of the main solenoids for transmission geat control.

If the problem occurred only after replaement of the rear main seal, it most probably means the solenoid had been damaged during transmission removal/installation (quite often happens when job was not done with care) or the wireharness is not connected correctly.

+2
Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 5:52 PM
SATURNTECH9

When asked about Codes you said you had o2 code not a transmission code. It sounded like a computer problem when you had turned it off and turn it back on it works fine. Great way to drag a question out. At least the code finally came to light.

Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 6:08 PM
KHLOW2008

Yes, it is possible the PCM needs updating or replacement and this is most likely not a transmission internal fault.

-1
Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 6:17 PM
MEGANJOHNS

The problem was going on before we changed rear main seal and read a tcc not o2 I was wrong then after he changed rear main seal the d4 light came on and now the only code reading is that one p1768

Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 AT 9:21 PM
KHLOW2008

You would need to diagnose the problem to continue from here. Are you doing the job yourself?

+1
Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 12:15 PM