ENGINE KNOCKING/TICKING

2000 Ford Mustang

drawpdead21

March, 20, 2011 AT 8:11 PM

I recently replaced the front wheel bearings, so I hadn't paid attention when this sound began to occur. Anyway, its more of tapping type of noise. I checked the oil, it appears fine. Could it be a loose spark plug, a lifter? It seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Its not noticeble when I'm in the car with the windows up. It taps faster when I rev the engine, even when I accelerate I can hear it if there is no traffic. I can get a video up if that will help.

March, 21, 2011 AT 12:24 AM

Could be valve lifter problem-you sure it not the timing chain slapping around

drawpdead21

March, 21, 2011 AT 12:37 AM

Could be. Its coming from the front of the engine, to the left (if you're facing the car). Could it possibly be a rocker arm?

drawpdead21

March, 21, 2011 AT 12:58 AM

Also note, the car doesn't idle rough. It has ticked for awhile but nothing serious I was told. But now, its turned into a knocking/tapping sound. It sounds as if its coming from around the same area as where the first spark plug is at and the alternator.

March, 21, 2011 AT 1:53 AM

Could be a piston slap/wrist pin, rod and main bearing

drawpdead21

March, 21, 2011 AT 2:12 AM

So I've noted it could be multiple things. I appreciate the help. I may have a mechanic check it out, bc I don't have the patience. Haha. One last question. I live a decent amount of miles from my friends shop. Would it be safe to drive 50+ miles? The sound is bad with higher load. I don't want to put more wear on what ever is failing, potentially causing damage to other parts.

March, 21, 2011 AT 2:16 AM

Tow it there-bumper to bumper type or a flat bed-

drawpdead21

March, 21, 2011 AT 2:21 AM

Will do. Again, I greatly appreciate the advice and quick responses!

March, 21, 2011 AT 2:38 AM

You're welcomed

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3