SO MY BATTERY WAS GETTING TIRED FOR A WHILE 6 ...

• johnmcelroy
  • 2000 Ford F-150

So my battery was getting tired for a while, 6 months I limped on it. Replaced it about two weeks ago. Everything has been fine. Today left work, drove about ten miles and stopped at the hardware store. I was in there for five minutes. Jumped in the truck and it clicked. Then the relay #2 started clicking and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery. No lights, no radio, no dinging, nothing. The gauges a stuck at the pegged position. Any thoughts folks?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 9:23 PM

• Docfixit

Have ALT output tested

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 9:25 PM
  • johnmcelroy

No, its stuck at the hardware store as we speak.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM
  • johnmcelroy

Had tons of starting power when I left work. Can a battery die on a ten mile drive if the alt. Quit?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 9:49 PM
  • auto lovemore

If its a diesel engine, check your heater relay output. It could be continuosly supplying the heater plugs, thus draining the accumulator to vertual emptiness

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 10:30 AM
  • johnmcelroy

Not a diesel, but thank you anyway. Got it home by jumping it. Somehow? The anti theft is the problem I believe. I only have one key so I'm getting another one today. Try to program them. I did jump it again at home and the truck killed itself (sounded like a kill switch was activated). I have the dash all apart, switched around some relays, checked fuses and connections, all looks fine. We'll see what the keys can do. Thanks again!

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 11:11 AM
  • Docfixit

What happened?

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 3:24 PM
  • johnmcelroy

They can't make me a key without the truck being there. So they want me to tow it to the dealer so they can plug it into a machine that gets the code info to program the key. 200 bucks, hundred plus just for the key. So I left, I'm going to call Ford headquarter today.

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 4:25 PM
  • Docfixit

They are able to make key from VIN and proof of ownership smell a rip off

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 10:36 PM