SO MY BATTERY WAS GETTING TIRED FOR A WHILE 6 ...

2000 Ford F-150

johnmcelroy

November, 12, 2012 AT 9:23 PM

So my battery was getting tired for a while, 6 months I limped on it. Replaced it about two weeks ago. Everything has been fine. Today left work, drove about ten miles and stopped at the hardware store. I was in there for five minutes. Jumped in the truck and it clicked. Then the relay #2 started clicking and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery. No lights, no radio, no dinging, nothing. The gauges a stuck at the pegged position. Any thoughts folks?

Docfixit

November, 12, 2012 AT 9:25 PM

Have ALT output tested

johnmcelroy

November, 12, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

No, its stuck at the hardware store as we speak.

johnmcelroy

November, 12, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

Had tons of starting power when I left work. Can a battery die on a ten mile drive if the alt. Quit?

auto lovemore

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:30 AM

If its a diesel engine, check your heater relay output. It could be continuosly supplying the heater plugs, thus draining the accumulator to vertual emptiness

johnmcelroy

November, 14, 2012 AT 11:11 AM

Not a diesel, but thank you anyway. Got it home by jumping it. Somehow? The anti theft is the problem I believe. I only have one key so I'm getting another one today. Try to program them. I did jump it again at home and the truck killed itself (sounded like a kill switch was activated). I have the dash all apart, switched around some relays, checked fuses and connections, all looks fine. We'll see what the keys can do. Thanks again!

Docfixit

November, 15, 2012 AT 3:24 PM

What happened?

johnmcelroy

November, 15, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

They can't make me a key without the truck being there. So they want me to tow it to the dealer so they can plug it into a machine that gets the code info to program the key. 200 bucks, hundred plus just for the key. So I left, I'm going to call Ford headquarter today.

Docfixit

November, 15, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

They are able to make key from VIN and proof of ownership smell a rip off

Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX