2000 FORD EXPLORER 5.0 AWD KNOCKING NOISES

• pixiestavern
  • 2000 Ford Explorer
  • AWD
  • automatic

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0L V-8 AWD and at a certain speed I get a knocking noise in the front drivers side tire area. It will stop when I break or go extremely slow. It also does not happen every time I drive. Could this be suspension related or something to do with the drive train?

Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 2:11 AM

• cup1981
  • 137 posts

I would think it is more suspension related than anything. The first thing to check is that all of the bolts and nuts securing the shocks and control arms are tight. From there, check the shocks for any leakage, meaning they failed and are making noise. If you don't see that, have a friend bounce the truck up and down and listen for noises. I would advise not to drive the Explorer until you find the problem!

Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 8:19 AM
  • cup1981
  • 137 posts

On other thing. Grab the front half shafts and give them a good shake, see if they are loose at all.

Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 8:21 AM
  • pixiestavern

It finally made the sound again this morning so I recorded the noise it was making, it sounds like two metal pieces are hitting together and the faster the wheel rotates the louder the noise gets. Breaking will stop the noise and it does not occur when going 10mph or under. Is there any way I could get a sound clip uploaded?

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 12:59 PM
  • cup1981
  • 137 posts

Not that I know of, but you can email it to cuplerwrites@hotmail. Com and I will take a listen.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 1:19 PM
  • pixiestavern

Thank you so much, just sent an email. It would be a great idea for this website to allow upload of audio, and might make it easier for those that give the advice. Thank you again!

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 1:28 PM
  • cup1981
  • 137 posts

Sounds to me like the sway bar link bushings or the sway bar bushings have worn out and are allowing the sway bar to hit the frame or the control arm.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 2:21 PM
  • pixiestavern

Okay I will check these out this afternoon and post back. A few years ago it was making a similar sound and we took it into a shop and they replaced the transfer case first, ended up still making the sound and then they replaced the u-joint and the noise stopped. I'm hoping its what you are suggesting because that would be a whole lot cheaper to fix. Thank you again for all of your help.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 2:23 PM
  • Wrenchtech

If this sound goes away when the brakes are applied you should check the calipers and see if they are loose in any way. The slide bushings can wear out or the bracket bolts can loosen up. Shake the caliper and see if it has any movement.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
  • nickb275

I agree with wrenchtech, there are shims you can apply to pads to remove the slack from the wear. They are sold from Chrysler but fit any other models. I use these extensively on many pad holder brackets. Included is what they look like, the little chome clips at bottom. They are great for those annoying brakes sounds and rot hole sound also, as pads move when brakes are not applied.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 2:44 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I'm not referring to a simple anti rattle kit. I'm talking about a major issue with the caliper slides or mounting bolts. There is a big difference in the sound between a pad rattle and a caliper knocking.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 2:48 PM