FRONT A/C WORKS OFF AND ON

• Bunyon2
  • 2000 Ford Expedition

My rear a/c works perfectly. My front a/c will work all day sometimes and other times not at all. Some days it goes back and forth from hot to cold. I've checked the pressure and refrigerant levels and they are normal.

I've read posts online and seen everything from blend doors and actuator motors to evaporators and thermostatic switches, but, none of the symptoms for those items quite fit my situation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

• Docfixit

Is HVAC manual or Automatic? If automatic a scan tool can be used to perform self diagnostics. This will test each sensor and actuator to find problem

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 6:14 PM
  • Bunyon2

It's manual. Does the fact that the problem is intermittent sound like a sensor or actuator issue?

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 6:41 PM
  • Docfixit

Yes blend door actuator loacated behind center dash controled by potentometer. Find actuator operate temp control motor should respond by moving from cool to hot. Being intermittent is going to make repair difficult

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 2:28 PM
  • Wrenchtech

The next time it goes warm, leave the front on and the rear off and feel the temp of the line coming out of the evap to the accumulator and see if it is cold. If so, you have a blend door or blend door control issue.

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 3:33 PM