FRONT A/C WORKS OFF AND ON

2000 Ford Expedition

Bunyon2

June, 7, 2012 AT 2:26 PM

My rear a/c works perfectly. My front a/c will work all day sometimes and other times not at all. Some days it goes back and forth from hot to cold. I've checked the pressure and refrigerant levels and they are normal.

I've read posts online and seen everything from blend doors and actuator motors to evaporators and thermostatic switches, but, none of the symptoms for those items quite fit my situation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Docfixit

June, 7, 2012 AT 6:14 PM

Is HVAC manual or Automatic? If automatic a scan tool can be used to perform self diagnostics. This will test each sensor and actuator to find problem

Bunyon2

June, 7, 2012 AT 6:41 PM

It's manual. Does the fact that the problem is intermittent sound like a sensor or actuator issue?

Docfixit

June, 8, 2012 AT 2:28 PM

Yes blend door actuator loacated behind center dash controled by potentometer. Find actuator operate temp control motor should respond by moving from cool to hot. Being intermittent is going to make repair difficult

Wrenchtech

June, 8, 2012 AT 3:33 PM

The next time it goes warm, leave the front on and the rear off and feel the temp of the line coming out of the evap to the accumulator and see if it is cold. If so, you have a blend door or blend door control issue.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement