FRONT A/C WORKS SOME DAYS AND NOT S

• Bunyon2
  • 2000 Ford Expedition

My rear a/c always works perfectly. My front a/c will work all day sometimes and other times not at all. And some days it works off and on as you drive. I've checked the pressure and refrigerant level and everything is normal.

I've read a number of online posts and I've seen suggestions from actuators and blend doors to evaporators and thermostatic switches, but, the symptoms for those items don't seem to quite match my situation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 2:15 PM

• hmac300

When it doesn't work what does it do? Not blow air? Not cold what?

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

When its not working is the blower not blowing or the air temp not cold. If the rear temp is good then the r134a level should be good.

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 AT 11:43 PM
  • Bunyon2

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The air still blows but it's hot air. There is no decrease in the air flow at all.

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 12:46 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

I would start with checking the r134a pressures. The best way is to suck it out and see how much you recover. Then charge with the corect amount.

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 12:54 AM
  • hmac300

Check your actuators the rearand front use the same a/c chargeand you say it works sometimes and other times it doesnt'. You may have a lazy actuator or it'snot getting vacuum/electric and dnot working. It would be the actuator that controls temp

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 1:47 AM