HOW TO CHANGE IGNITION SWITCH

2000 Ford Contour

sterling.rios

February, 10, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

I have been looking all over the internet and cannot find any instructions on how to change the Ignition Switch in my 2000 Ford Contour. I tried to start my car this morning and with teh key in the ignition, it turns through all the positions, but when you turn the key to try and crank it, nothing happens. The lights dont turn off, headlights dont dim, and the key is kinda, for lack of a better word, stuck in the crank position, and doesnt spring back when you let go of the key.
I can turn the key back manually so the key is not stuck in the ignition cylinder. I replaced the ignition cylinder and the issuer persisted so the only thing that I can think of is that dern ignition switch.

Any thoughts or instructions to get to the switch would be mighty helpful.

cadieman

February, 10, 2012 AT 5:58 PM

Its mounted on the lower steering column on top.

cadieman

February, 10, 2012 AT 6:07 PM

A linkage rod goes from the key to the ing. Switch.U can unbolt it then remove it. Then u can use a screwdriver to test it. It may not be your problem it maybe in the column.

sterling.rios

February, 11, 2012 AT 1:17 PM

Thanks for the answers. Found it just behind the steering wheel after taking off the plastic panels around the steering column. 2 screws, and an electrical clip later it was done very quickly.

Found the problem too, it was indeed the ignition switch, the piece in the middle where the linkage rod goes into to turn it was broken. Stupid plastic, heh.

cadieman

February, 11, 2012 AT 8:12 PM

Good deal ty for using 2carpros

Replace Ignition Switch
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006