2000 Dodge Ram starting problem

MOLISCOUS
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.9 liter V8.

I've been having intermittent starting problems lately. It starts great one day then not at all the next. The only difference seems to be temperature. The colder the day the more likely it won't start. It cranks over, but doesn't fire. I checked the valve on the fuel rail and it squirts me every time. I've recently installed a new water pump, but can't imagine it being related, who knows. Any suggestions on what to check or replace would be appreciated.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 12:24 AM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 12:53 AM
MOLISCOUS
Thank you very much! I guess I'll have to wait until it gets cold again to find out.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 12:58 AM
WRENCHTECH
Gather up everything you need and have it ready.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
MOLISCOUS
Will do. Thanks again.
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 1:27 AM