IM GETTING ERROR CODE P0455 INDICATING A LEAK IN...

2000 Dodge Intrepid

Anonymous

March, 14, 2013 AT 10:30 PM

I'm getting error code p0455, indicating a leak in the EVAP control system. I just spent a ton on other repairs and would like to troubleshoot and try to fix this myself. I replaced the gas cap and had the check engine light reset. It was ok for about a week, then came back on with the same code.
I've read about a "smoke test" - have no idea what that would cost. Can you tell me how to track down a leak myself and what I might have to replace? It's not really covered in my Haynes manual.

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2013 AT 10:43 PM

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

The gas cap is a logical suspect. A big leak can often be found with a visual inspection. Look for a rusted-off hose clamp or a disconnected or rotted hose. You can check for a smoke machine at an auto parts store that rents or borrows tools. That will allow you to inject a white non-toxic smoke at two pounds of pressure into the system, then you look for where it's sneaking out.

Replace Gas Cap
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang