TRUCK EITHER IDLES HIGH OR DIES EVERY TIME I ...

2000 Dodge Dakota

dwaynebowe

Truck either idles high or dies every time I stop. I have changed the iac motor 3x and the tps 2x. I even changed out the computer and had it flashed at dealership
Nothing fixes my problem. Need help

caradiodoc

January, 5, 2013 AT 4:51 AM

I was going to ask if the battery was disconnected or run dead but that's irrelevant once you unplugged the computer. It has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it has to be in control of idle speed. To meet the conditions for that to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals.

Usually that causes stalling at stop signs from the idle speed being too low. You might check for vacuum leaks too. That will cause the idle speed to go too high with no corresponding increase in power. The automatic idle speed motor might be adjusting in an attempt to bring the idle speed down, but normally neither that nor the tps is going to cause those problems. A defective tps will either set a fault code or it can cause a hesitation or stumble upon acceleration.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars