ROARING NOISE FROM THE FRONT END OF MY

2000 Dodge Dakota

charlessheppard

October, 11, 2012 AT 5:35 PM

I have a 20000 dodge dakota. A week ago it started making a roaring noise from the front end, and a rattling sound when slowing down. I need to take it to the shop, but was wondering if yu had any idea what this was. Thanks

evolve960

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

Roaring noise could be a few things is the dakota 2w or 4w also what motor is in it. The rattling sound is it a steady Tick tick tick noise when you depress the brake pedal or if you just let off the gas and it slows by itself?

charlessheppard

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:13 PM

The dakota is an v8 2 wheel drive, when I turn the steering wheel to the right the noise goes away, the rattling noise sounds like when you bang 2 small pieces of aluminum together, and only happens when I let off the gas and it slows by itself.

evolve960

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

More than likely this sounds like a wheel bearing on the passenger side as the weight is shifted from the right to left the noise goes away. As for the other noise it is possible that the brake pads are not properly shimmed and are loose in the caliper.I believe that the bearings are located inside the brake rotor and more than likely just need to be replaced about 15-20 a piece for the good ones.

I would take a lay underneath and just work your way around with a small flashlight and grab a hold of things and give a shake and see if you can find play or movement or even may find whats making the noise alltogether

evolve960

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

Also a simple move is to tap the break pad with the end of a screw driver or your finger if there loose they'll move pretty easily.

charlessheppard

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:30 PM

Thank you so much for you reply, I will try that. Have a wonderful day.

evolve960

October, 23, 2012 AT 11:38 PM

Any update or shall we consider this resolved for you?

Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars