CALIPER IS STICKING ON 2WD.

2000 Dodge Dakota

syllinx

March, 30, 2011 AT 2:09 PM

My caliper on the front right tire was sticking so I bought a new brake hose and new caliper along with new rotor and pads. It is still sticking and now i'm desperately trying to find out why. I have rear wheel abs if that helps and I doubt it would affect the front, but the rear brake cylinders are leaking. The abs light and brake light are not on so I don't think anything serious is broke.

Caliper

caradiodoc

March, 30, 2011 AT 2:59 PM

When the brake is locked up, crack open the steel line at the master cylinder. If it releases from there, suspect brake fluid contamination.

syllinx

March, 30, 2011 AT 3:02 PM

I will try that soon as I get a chance. The fluid has been flushed every 6 months to be safe so i'm just curious if I drive to much lol.

syllinx

July, 31, 2012 AT 1:37 PM

It was a groove in the area where the pad slides. I had to file them down smooth and now brakes are good.

caradiodoc

July, 31, 2012 AT 5:44 PM

Happy to hear it's solved. Rather than removing material from the mount, the better approach is to weld it to build the metal up, then grind it down smooth. While grinding it down will solve the pad from catching, it increases the clearance between the caliper and mount. That will cause it to knock once when the brakes are applied and again when they're applied in reverse.

Other fixes include replacing the knuckle with a new one, if it's still available or you can find a good one in a salvage yard, and installing stainless steel inserts. Many import vehicles come with those inserts standard.

Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front