Removal of right motor mount

EVIL_SANTA
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
What kind and size nut(5 sided) holds the right motor mount to the medal part of it on the motor side? Have a replacement on hand but not the nut or bolt. Got it removed but can't separate it for the medal part of it.
Thursday, April 26th, 2012 AT 11:58 PM

ASEMASTER6371
10 mm bolts are the motor mount bolts.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 12:02 AM
EVIL_SANTA
I wish they were that small this one has 3 18mm bolts but this it the bolt n nut that goes thru the mount. Its 5 not 6 sided n its around 18mm but 5 sided. Thx
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:11 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Are you talking about the diameter of the bolt or the socket necessary to remove it?

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM
EVIL_SANTA
The socket
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, the size of the bolt is 10 mm. The size of the socket is not the size of the bolt, just the external part of the nut.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:28 AM
EVIL_SANTA
Thx I asked the question wrong I guess. Where can I buy a "5 or 10 point wrench" say 18mm not a standard 6 or 12 point. The nut looks like the dodge emblem. Google search turns up nothing.
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Can you send a photo?

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:45 AM
EVIL_SANTA
Here ya go hope this helps. Its shape it like the dodge emblem on my repair manual. The manual says not to remove the nut/bolt but to replace the complete unit but they don't sell the mount with the motor side medal mount piece. Maybe I am reading to much into to there instructions. With all my tools I've got most wrenches/sockets but none with 5 or 10 points.
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 2:23 AM
ASEMASTER6371
You can just use an open end wrench on the nut and use your socket on the other side to remove.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 10:46 AM
EVIL_SANTA
Nope. The nut is "5 sided" not 6 sided so an open end wrench only would have one flat surface to grip too. They need two flat surface to get a good grip(already tried it didn't work).
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 12:01 PM
EIDSONJR
WOW! Great work from the mechanic on his answers. I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE and CANNOT find a mechanic with an answer. :(

if you got an answer to this please let me know.
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 5:03 AM
808WRENCH
Did you ever get the nut removed? I was changing the timing belt at the fire station for a fellow firefighter when I came across the nut. Low and behold, the fire hydrant wrench works perfectly to break it free. Just replace it with a six-point nut after the job.
+1
Sunday, June 7th, 2015 AT 6:28 PM
CRAWLER
I USED a 12 Point 18MM Socket(After I tried everything else and rounded the corners a little, HAD TO PRESS (an 8" "C" Clamp and a 2 pound Persuasion implement) the socket on to the nut. Not A Fireman, or Plumber(Water Box KEY) so it worked. My Bolt was a 12MMX 1.75 pitch thread. So, I bought a 10.9 12MMX1.75 NYLOK Nut and it worked Just Fine. The New nut was a 19MM Socket. I did this on 10-15-2017
+1
Monday, October 16th, 2017 AT 3:06 PM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, October 17th, 2017 AT 6:03 PM