Removal of right motor mount

EVIL_SANTA
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN

What kind and size nut(5 sided) holds the right motor mount to the medal part of it on the motor side? Have a replacement on hand but not the nut or bolt. Got it removed but can't separate it for the medal part of it.

Thursday, April 26th, 2012 AT 11:58 PM

ASEMASTER6371

10 mm bolts are the motor mount bolts.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 12:02 AM
EVIL_SANTA

I wish they were that small this one has 3 18mm bolts but this it the bolt n nut that goes thru the mount. Its 5 not 6 sided n its around 18mm but 5 sided. Thx

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:11 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Are you talking about the diameter of the bolt or the socket necessary to remove it?

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM
EVIL_SANTA

The socket

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Ok, the size of the bolt is 10 mm. The size of the socket is not the size of the bolt, just the external part of the nut.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:28 AM
EVIL_SANTA

Thx I asked the question wrong I guess. Where can I buy a "5 or 10 point wrench" say 18mm not a standard 6 or 12 point. The nut looks like the dodge emblem. Google search turns up nothing.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Can you send a photo?

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 1:45 AM
EVIL_SANTA

Here ya go hope this helps. Its shape it like the dodge emblem on my repair manual. The manual says not to remove the nut/bolt but to replace the complete unit but they don't sell the mount with the motor side medal mount piece. Maybe I am reading to much into to there instructions. With all my tools I've got most wrenches/sockets but none with 5 or 10 points.

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 2:23 AM
ASEMASTER6371

You can just use an open end wrench on the nut and use your socket on the other side to remove.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 10:46 AM
EVIL_SANTA

Nope. The nut is "5 sided" not 6 sided so an open end wrench only would have one flat surface to grip too. They need two flat surface to get a good grip(already tried it didn't work).

Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 12:01 PM
EIDSONJR

WOW! Great work from the mechanic on his answers. I have the SAME EXACT ISSUE and CANNOT find a mechanic with an answer. :(

if you got an answer to this please let me know.

Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 5:03 AM
808WRENCH

Did you ever get the nut removed? I was changing the timing belt at the fire station for a fellow firefighter when I came across the nut. Low and behold, the fire hydrant wrench works perfectly to break it free. Just replace it with a six-point nut after the job.

+1
Sunday, June 7th, 2015 AT 6:28 PM