I HAVE INSTALLED THE TIMING BELT AND I HAVE ...

2000 Daewoo Leganza

Anonymous

November, 19, 2012 AT 5:34 PM

I have installed the timing belt and I have torqued the tensioner per specs. (18 lbs), but the tensioner pointer moves with each revolution of the crank pulley. It moves from the notch to the new area of the tensioner. Is it supposed to do that or should it stay positioned with notch?

hmac300

November, 19, 2012 AT 5:37 PM

When replacing a timing belt the tensioner should be replaced as well. Normally mechanics put on a whole kit which could include water pump so that they don't have comebacks. There should be some movement but sounds like your tensioner is bad.

charlestuck

November, 19, 2012 AT 5:46 PM

How much movement is allowed and please describe the movement? Thank you.

hmac300

November, 19, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

It shouldm't move that far as what youa re describign just replace the tensioner. It shold be replaced anyhow.

charlestuck

November, 19, 2012 AT 7:27 PM

I am willing to make a contribution, but could you be a little more clear? I installed a kit, seals, water pump, idler pullers, tensioner, timing belt, etc. After I positioned and tightened the tensioner, I turned the crank 2 revolutions and the pointer on the tensioner, moved off the notch to the right, within the "New" area (ex. Old V New), but it went back to the notch. I did this several times. Is it adjusting the tension? I will make a $10. Thank you.

hmac300

November, 19, 2012 AT 8:09 PM

Ok you didn't mention this in first reply. It will stop moving like you are saying it is they are meant to move a little to keep tension on the belt. As long as you did this you should be ok.

Installation

1. Ensure crankshaft and camshaft timing marks are still aligned. Install the timing belt. See Fig. 7 . Turn the timing belt tensioner counterclockwise to tension the timing belt. Turn tensioner until the pointer aligns with
the notch on the rear timing belt cover. Tighten automatic tensioner bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
2. Using crankshaft center bolt, turn crankshaft clockwise (as viewed from timing belt end of engine) 2 full revolutions. Ensure timing belt tensioner pointer is still aligned with notch.
3. If timing belt tensioner is correctly aligned, install timing belt cover. See Fig. 3 . Install the engine mount bracket on the timing belt end of engine. Position power steering hose in place, and install clamp bolt. Install
crankshaft pulley. Install serpentine accessory drive belt.
4. Install right front splash shield. Install right front wheel. Install air filter housing and resonator. Connect air intake temperature sensor connector. Connect negative battery cable.

Fig. 7: Identifying Timing Belt Routing
Courtesy of DAEWOO MOTOR AMERICA, INC.

Put the cover on an dlet it go. Make sure all pulleys are tight as well (18 ft. Lbs) from what I gather you have done everything correctly and kind of worried about something that sholdn'tbe. Part of the problem is as the cams turn it will cause the tensione to move due to valve action from springs. If the cover was on and you started car you wouldn't notice it anyhow.

charlestuck

November, 19, 2012 AT 9:07 PM

Thank you. How do I contribute?

hmac300

November, 19, 2012 AT 11:04 PM

Do it the next ime, i'm not familar with that as I only answer the questions I guess you could contribute anytime

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500