WHY HAS MY POWER STEERING GONE?

2000 Citroen Saxo

leatherlands

October, 5, 2012 AT 12:26 PM

My power steering has gone but if I bang a black box under the engine it starts working again untill I turn the car off then on. It has once before started working on its own but then stopped working. The steering fluid is full. Would really love to know what it is before I take it to a mechanics so I dont get ripped off! Thankyou : )

October, 5, 2012 AT 12:43 PM

Black box? Can you post a picture?

leatherlands

October, 5, 2012 AT 1:12 PM

When the black bit is hit.

October, 5, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

That is a motorised pump and seems it is failing.

leatherlands

October, 5, 2012 AT 1:53 PM

Thankyou, do you no how it can be fixed, could I do it myself or will it have to be a mechanic?

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:18 PM

We don't have any information on the repair procedures and I am not sure if you are able to handle it.

When such pumps goes bad, you need to have it replaced as replacment parts for repairs might not be available.

The job should be about disconnecting wireharness, hoses and taking the assy out. Reverse procedures for installation. Top-up fluids, start engine and turn the steering a from end to end a few times and top-up fluid sgain if necessary.

leatherlands

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:33 PM

Ok thankyou very much, atleast I know the problem before going to a mechanic thanku again

October, 5, 2012 AT 2:54 PM

You're welcome.

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage