FUEL GAGE ISSUE

2000 Chevrolet Venture

jklong

March, 19, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Chev. Venture van. New fuel pump, fuel filter and gas cap installed. Gas gage will not go higher than 1/4 tank. With about 6 gallons of gas left the low fuel light came on, and stayed on constant, and gas gage was on E. I broke down - "ran out of gas." Had the car towed -put gas in it and it cranked up fine. Will the low fuel light staying on, even though there is plenty of gas in the car, cause the computer to think there is no gas and "run out of gas?" The gas gage has never worked correctly. I have just always kept track of how much gas I have in the car.

fixitmr

March, 19, 2011 AT 1:14 AM

No, the computer will not shut it off because of gauge reading.

BMRFIXIT

March, 19, 2011 AT 1:25 AM

Cluster issue is a common problem. GM had a recall on it. You need to use a scanner to verify the amount of fuel in the tank.

jklong

March, 19, 2011 AT 1:26 AM

If that is not the case, what could be the cause of having that much gas in the car and it acting like I ran out of gas. The fuel pump is working, you can hear it before I crank the van. And the van was running very well up to this point.

BMRFIXIT

March, 19, 2011 AT 1:32 AM

You need to use a scanner to verify the amount of fuel in the tank.
Fuel pump will keep on working but if no fuel in the tank engine will shut down
wrong gauge reading is very common

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Change