FUEL GAGE ISSUE

• jklong
  • 2000 Chevrolet Venture

Vehicle: 2000 Chev. Venture van. New fuel pump, fuel filter and gas cap installed. Gas gage will not go higher than 1/4 tank. With about 6 gallons of gas left the low fuel light came on, and stayed on constant, and gas gage was on E. I broke down - "ran out of gas." Had the car towed -put gas in it and it cranked up fine. Will the low fuel light staying on, even though there is plenty of gas in the car, cause the computer to think there is no gas and "run out of gas?" The gas gage has never worked correctly. I have just always kept track of how much gas I have in the car.

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

• fixitmr

No, the computer will not shut it off because of gauge reading.

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 1:14 AM
  • BMRFIXIT

Cluster issue is a common problem. GM had a recall on it. You need to use a scanner to verify the amount of fuel in the tank.

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 1:25 AM
  • jklong

If that is not the case, what could be the cause of having that much gas in the car and it acting like I ran out of gas. The fuel pump is working, you can hear it before I crank the van. And the van was running very well up to this point.

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 1:26 AM
  • BMRFIXIT

You need to use a scanner to verify the amount of fuel in the tank.
Fuel pump will keep on working but if no fuel in the tank engine will shut down
wrong gauge reading is very common

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 1:32 AM