STARTER WILL NOT DISENGAGE AFTER ENGINE STARTS

2000 Chevrolet S-10

allenharter

February, 3, 2013 AT 12:44 AM

Starter will not disengage after engine starts. I have to pull the starter relay (in fuse block under hood) to stop the starter. I can re-install the relay after the engine is shut off until the next time I start the truck. The starter engages and starts the engine as normal, but it won't disengage. I replaced the starter with a new one today, but still same problem. Wondering if it could be the ignition switch. Need help, any suggestions would be most helpful.

Replacing My Starter Relay

Starter Relay

Jacobandnickolas

February, 3, 2013 AT 12:57 AM

Have you tried a new relay?

allenharter

February, 3, 2013 AT 2:17 AM

Well, sort of, I swap it with another just like it from a different slot with no change, So, I have to think it is not the relay.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 3, 2013 AT 2:58 AM

You're right. Is the starter running or is it just stuck on the flywheel?

allenharter

February, 3, 2013 AT 3:03 AM

When the engine starts the starter keeps running until I pull the relay. Have to leave relay out until I shut engine off.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 3, 2013 AT 3:16 AM

It sounds like the power from the ignition switch isn't shutting. Check the ignition switch to see if that is the case.

allenharter

February, 3, 2013 AT 3:27 AM

Ok, thanks for all your input. I think I will replace the ignition switch tomorrow, it only coast $65.00 at our local auto zone. I will post the results after I get it installed. Thanks again.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 3, 2013 AT 5:54 AM

You may want to check it before spending the money. Let me know.

allenharter

February, 4, 2013 AT 12:25 AM

Well, just got home, My son-in-law and I had a time of it but we got the new ignition switch installed but it had no effect on my problem. The starter still continues to run after the engine starts. Only way to stop it is to pull the starter relay. Where do I go from here, I'm at a loss!

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement