COOLING SYSTEM ISSUE

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

mwmarshall12

June, 30, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8 Liter non-supercharged. Was sitting in a parking garage idling with the AC after 20 minutes looked at my gauge and saw it was running hot (almost at the red lines). Replaced the radiator cap as it looked like it was leaking, allowed it to idle for 15 minutes seemed to work okay. Started driving, less than a block vehicle overheated. I put in a new thermostat and it seems to run a little cooler but it still between 215-230 (Normally it would be between 190-205. Last year I put a new radiator and hoses along with another thermostat and two years ago I did a water pump. Coolant is new and I also did a block test (hydrocarbons) and that passed. Any ideas?

Running Hot

caradiodoc

June, 30, 2012 AT 2:07 AM

Are the radiator fans turning on?

mikederouin88

June, 30, 2012 AT 4:42 AM

Did u bleed the cooling system after repairs? Also check your coolant temp sensor.

mwmarshall12

July, 3, 2012 AT 11:45 PM

Looked back at the radiator fans and saw that one was on and one was kind of spinning (not on though) traced it back to a short along the harness, Repaired it and fan came on but stopped working again. I replaced the the fan assembly (both fans). Runs colder than ever.

caradiodoc

July, 3, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

All right! One in a row. Happy to hear it's solved.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer