COOLING SYSTEM ISSUE

• mwmarshall12
  • 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS with the 3.8 Liter non-supercharged. Was sitting in a parking garage idling with the AC after 20 minutes looked at my gauge and saw it was running hot (almost at the red lines). Replaced the radiator cap as it looked like it was leaking, allowed it to idle for 15 minutes seemed to work okay. Started driving, less than a block vehicle overheated. I put in a new thermostat and it seems to run a little cooler but it still between 215-230 (Normally it would be between 190-205. Last year I put a new radiator and hoses along with another thermostat and two years ago I did a water pump. Coolant is new and I also did a block test (hydrocarbons) and that passed. Any ideas?

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

• caradiodoc

Are the radiator fans turning on?

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 2:07 AM
  • mikederouin88

Did u bleed the cooling system after repairs? Also check your coolant temp sensor.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 4:42 AM
  • mwmarshall12

Looked back at the radiator fans and saw that one was on and one was kind of spinning (not on though) traced it back to a short along the harness, Repaired it and fan came on but stopped working again. I replaced the the fan assembly (both fans). Runs colder than ever.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 AT 11:45 PM
  • caradiodoc

All right! One in a row. Happy to hear it's solved.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 AT 11:56 PM