Cavalier poor mpg

BEAT KID
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Hi, I have a 2000 chevy cavalier and it all of a sudden started getting horrible gas mileage. I was getting 26mpg in the city. Now I have getting 17mpg highway and lesser than that in the city. I've checked for fuel and vacuum leaks, the spark plugs and wires, air filter, tire pressure and have found nothing wrong. The car runs great and doesnt smell like gas or idle rough. The car runs perfectly normal like it always did but before winter started it suddenly dropped. I have a flowmaster delta 40 muffler on it but I took my calculation of 26mpg after it was installed. I understand the winter takes away some fuel mileage but by how much I lost I think something else could be wrong with it. Can you help?

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 9:02 PM

I'd use a gage and check fuel pressure. Also, check that the pressure doesn't drop like a rock when pump stops. If it drops quickly, check for leaking injector or pressure regulator.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 9:37 PM
BEAT KID

Ok thanks. I go to college for auto and I will to a test tomorrow bu I was wondering how to check the fuel pressure because cavalier don't have test ports for a gauge. Do I have to T into the fuel line? If so how

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 11:29 PM

There is kit that modifies the fuel pressure gage with quick connect fittings, so that it will work with your vehicle. I didn't realize till just now, that you don't have a schrader valve. Yes, you have to tee into the supply line.

Tuesday, February 15th, 2011 AT 3:31 PM
BEAT KID

Ok I tested the fuel pressure and its fine. I also looked for gas smells or leaks by the fuel injectors and there's nothing. I check my spark plugs again and I noticed they are turning white. What could be wrong?

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 6:58 PM

Any applicable trouble codes? If you check codes yourself, at the least, you would need an obd2 code reader. Some of the national brand autostores used to check codes for free. Next, I'd want to see if system is running rich or lean and why?

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 7:07 PM
BEAT KID

I used a scan tool in my auto class and nothing comes up for anything but for the BCM code u1000 pops up. Im just getting a little confused because the car is getting bad mpg, runs perfectly normal but the signs of the spark plugs are showing that it's running lean

Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 10:15 PM

What are the fuel trims doing, adding or subtracting? Do a compression test. I can't think of anything else, without looking at it.

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 4:52 PM
BEAT KID

Ok I did a compression test and one on my cylinders had only 70 lbs of compression

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

The lowest cylinder reading should not be less than 70 percent of the highest. 100 psi minimum. Could rings or bad valves causing low compression.

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
BEAT KID

Ok do you think this could be the problem with my gas mileage? Also I noticed the head is covered in oil. And if the spark plugs are white, does that mean the car is running lean? If so would there be a problem with the o2 sensor?

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

If all cylinders aren't producing like they should, yes it will effect gas mileage. In closed loop the 02 sensor tells the computer what's going on with the exhaust. If the computer thinks the system is running rich, it will lean the system, that's why I asked you about the fuel trims.

Does the engine use oil?

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 9:52 PM
BEAT KID

Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 10:47 PM

Maybe the engine needs an overhaul?

Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 4:26 PM
BEAT KID

Oh god I hope not. I redid the compression test but I accidentally stripped out the hole for the 4th cylinder but I got reading for the first 3 cylinders dry and wet. Cylinder #1 was 105,125. #2 was 115,155. #3 was 125, 145. Is that bad?

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 2:25 PM

Doesn't sound as bad as it could be. Do you use more than a quart of oil every 1K miles?

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:11 PM
BEAT KID

I put four quarts in every oil change which is every 3000 miles. If I ever run low its usually less than a quart

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 12:10 AM

That doesn't sound bad. Your engine may give you many more miles of service? Whether or not that is efficient service, I don't know?

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM