GAS GUAGE OR TANK?

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

bugz64

October, 19, 2013 AT 4:13 PM

I just bought a 2000 chevy blazer LS. They told me that the gas guage did not work. And I was O.K with that but when it comes to putting gas in it seem that it will only let me put at most $33.50. And I wait till the low fuel light comes on.I, ve been told it, s not good to let it run out so I, am trying not to do that.I was also told that the gas tank is about 17-18 gallons. Roughly anything over 8 gallons and it over flows. Could u please help, thank you

madmike1735

October, 19, 2013 AT 6:43 PM

Does the gas gauge move when you fill it up? Its possible the sending unit is giving a false reading, and is saying its lower than it actually is. Thats why you can only put 8 gallons in. I would recommend having it replaced.

bugz64

October, 19, 2013 AT 7:20 PM

No it does not move at all. Some one told me about some kind of sensor under the spare tire for the fuel tank is the the one your talking about. Or the float in the tank?

madmike1735

October, 19, 2013 AT 7:25 PM

Im talking about the float in the tank. As thats the only sensor that sends a gas level signal to your instrument cluster. Without removing the sending unit from the fuel tank, it cannot be properly tested to verify its functioning properly.

bugz64

October, 19, 2013 AT 9:05 PM

Thank You for all your help. Now I am going to buy a Chiltons and do the work myself.I found what you were talking about on ebay for $ 54.99.

madmike1735

October, 19, 2013 AT 9:11 PM

Once you drop the tank, and remove the sending unit, you can plug it into the harness, and move the float arm. Have someone else inside the vehicle watching the gas gauge. Verify the gauge moves, and when the arm is down all the way, the low fuel light should come on. This is the easiest way to check. If you need further assistance, let me know.

bugz64

October, 19, 2013 AT 9:42 PM

Thank you, this site is the coolest. Found it on accident.

bugz64

October, 19, 2013 AT 9:43 PM

madmike1735

October, 22, 2013 AT 6:44 PM

Thanks for the compliment. Let us know if we can help you further.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250