REAR END GEAR REMOVAL

2000 Chevrolet Astro

fergusonbrad

February, 7, 2011 AT 5:59 AM

I have a rear end out of a 2000 chev blazer and am wondering how to remove both axles and all the gears inside the case I will be making the dif about 8 inches narrower on each side so need just the bare casing

thanks brad

Jacobandnickolas

February, 13, 2011 AT 5:50 AM

In the center of the spiders is a differential pin. The axles are pushed against it. Remove the retaining bolt that holds the pin in place. Remove the pin and push the axle inward. Remove the reatining clip and the axle will pull out.

NOTE: If you remove the ring gear and all other components, you will need step by step directions to replace it. There are several steps that require special tools to complete.

Remove the drive shaft. Remove the lock nut in the yoke. Remove the differential bearing covers (end caps) in the housing. From there the inside will come out. Also, the pinion shaft / gear will slid out from the inside. There are bearing on both the inside and outside of it.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma