2000 Cadillac Escalade I HAVE NO GEARS

MELISSA_G
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
I've been hearing a loud clank for a about a week. I continued to drive it since it is my only vehicle and I have to work. I was going down the road and all of sudden I had no gears. I couldn't put in drive, park, reverse. Nothing! I parked it in a parking lot, finally got it home 3-4 days later. A friend came over and looked at the transmission pan and emptied the fluid. There were chunks of metals/rocks in the pan. We cleaned that all out and now they are saying that when that happens it's 92% of the time the transfer case and NOT the transmission. Is this true? Could it just be the transfer case and how will I know for sure?
Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 AT 1:36 PM

I'm not sure how chunks of metal could get from the transfer case into the trans pan. Tell me, when you place it in gear and slightly rev the engine, does the speedo work?
Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 AT 5:36 PM
MELISSA_G
Yes it does. And I'm sorry but the chunks are actually in the "screen", not the pan. It will start and act like it wants to go, even did go in reverse once but made a horrible sound "errrr" sound when put back in park.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 6:31 AM
If the speedo works, my guess is that the transmission isn't the problem. For the speedo to work, the transmission output shaft is turning. The problem has to be after that point. The next area of concern is the transfer case.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 8:39 AM
MELISSA_G
I just doubled checked and NO the speed does not work. The RMP moves but not the speedo.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 3:29 PM
Then it must be in the transmission. I have seen seals go bad allowing the transfer case fluid to get into the trans, but never damaged parts.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 8:24 PM
MELISSA_G
I got a new transfer case put and it went into all gears and drove and everything. But when it goes into drive, and needs to shift it loses all power. It drives normally in 1st & 2nd gear though. Any idea what could be that cause of this?
Sunday, October 26th, 2014 AT 6:08 AM
When you say it looses power, do you meant the engine dies out or does it feel like something is placing an additional drag on the vehicle?
Sunday, October 26th, 2014 AT 7:37 PM
MELISSA_G
I mean it's still running but when I go to give it gas it just rev's up and don't go. It just coasts along and it won't shift into any gear by it's self, I have to physically drop the shifter to the gears that work to make it at least go.
-1
Monday, October 27th, 2014 AT 6:17 AM
Something has come apart in the trans. The only way to confirm what has caused the problem is to take it apart and check.
Monday, October 27th, 2014 AT 8:45 AM