CAN I PUT THE LESS EXPENSIVE GAS IN MY CAR?

2000 Cadillac El Dorado

Glakken13

March, 20, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

I have always used 93 in my caddy. Gas is so expensive anymore. Can I use a cheaper grade without damaging the engine?

saturntech9

March, 20, 2012 AT 4:39 PM

You have to use the grade gas listed in your owners manual do you know what grade that is?

caradiodoc

March, 20, 2012 AT 4:44 PM

It depends on what's called for in the owner's manual. If 87 octane is sufficient, you won't gain anything by using 93. The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to ignite the fuel. That allows the engineers to design the engine for more power. The gas doesn't produce more power. Typically, higher compression engines, (raising compression is one way of increasing power), causes the fuel to self-ignite too early, and raising the octane rating prevents that. Not many engines require higher octane ratings today.

saturntech9

March, 20, 2012 AT 4:52 PM

The higher the octane the slower the fuel with burn to explain it in simpler terms.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mazda 3
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado